Saturday, August 8, 2026

First quilt top for August 2026................


I finished sewing and pressing this top by early afternoon yesterday.  As a comparison with the pattern photo, I'm not completely happy with my fabric selection.  Not comparing, it's OK.  I wish I could have found a lighter orange fabric for next to the yellows.  I forgot to measure it but the pattern says 60" x 80.5".  I'll get the actual measurement today and update this post.


I knew I had some 6.5" squares of floral prints left from a previous quilt that I could use for a mock-up.  I cut one strip of quarter square triangles and laid them on the floral square and then laid the 9 patches on top of them.  This is the idea I had in mind when I found that charcoal and white stripe fabric.  I did like it with the stripe as as the alternating squares with the 9 patches on yesterday's post too.  I'll have to think about this one for a few days.

8 comments:

Julierose said...

Great that you finished "Zipper" quilt, Wanda--it came out beautifully!
73 here with 72.7 dewpoint!! Another hot one--we are supposed to finally get some relief this coming Monday...in the meantime, in side with AC for sure...hugs, Julierose

Cherie Moore said...

I’m glad you elected to alternate the zinger fabric and I get why you would have liked lighter orange fabric. Overall the effect is to make the yellow and purples the stars of the zipper show……which is electric 😃

Nann said...

Yay!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Your Zipper is stunning. Totally get the "wish I had" thinking but sometimes we just have to let it go and say "wow, I did it!" Love the look of the floral nine patch blocks -- I'd go for it and save the other idea for "someday" (or not).

JJM said...

Fun and fascinating Zipper quilt top to see. You’re off to a great start for August. And my oh my your stripes and florals make for such lovely blocks for another summer quilt top.

Kristin said...

The zipper quilt top looks great! And I love the black and white stripey fabric with the florals.

Anonymous said...

I like the stripe used as alternating squares w your nine patches. I really like everything about the zipper quilt. --Laura H.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

That turned out really good - when you first showed it I wasn't sure what it would look like for some reason I couldn't picture it but I really like it