Wednesday, August 5, 2026

Decision made........................


I decided to go with the wildcard fabric staggered.  I stacked all of the pieces for 8 block A and layered them on a cover of a plastic bin so I could carry them up the stairs.





I did the same for 6 block B.  Now I have some sewing set up for a couple days.









Since I was not using fat quarters, but instead cut a 10" strip selvage to selvage, I had room to cut 2 more stacks of each group.  These are stacks of 5 pieces in the order they would be sewn.  Maybe I can use them on the back of the quilt.

Last night's sewing, this far on 8 blocks, about 1/3 of the total piecing of the 14 blocks.


In the afternoon I tackled the big project, cutting batting off the roll and trimming it to the correct length, and cutting 2 lengths of backing fabric for each of these quilts.  I still need to sew the seam in the backings.


Every year I think I'm going to make a Christmas quilt in July.  I had planned to make one with the die cut large half hexagons and had cut strips off many fabrics.  For the ones that have a one way design I cut a strip tall enough to cut the pieces in the other direction.  I even have a large enough piece of that red and green paisley for the back of the quilt.  I know I cut these strips before the big shut down in 2020 in March.  I was cutting one day when my 2 friends were over here sewing.  So, for one more year I have missed the Christmas in July project.  One part of me says still make it, the other part says what's the point when I don't know anyone who needs a Christmas quilt (however it would look good draped across the bench in front of my fireplace).  Pros and cons, I would like to see what it looks like, and I think it will be pretty, but my life is different since I injured my leg 2 years ago with the off and on pain.  This is definitely a design wall project.  Who would have thought I still have many quilts I want to make and I'm in my mid-80s.  I don't think I ever thought that far ahead to how long I would still be quiltmaking.

15 comments:

Julierose said...

"Zipper" will be so pretty, Wanda;))) I've never done Christmas in July
projects--I kinda like to work within the seasons...
60 here early this morning with 59 DP ; so much cooler...
Food shopping early today...hugs, Julierose

Kathy said...

You are one of my inspirations to keep quilting with my commercial fabrics as well as textile art with my surface design fabric. I know that we will never use up our stash if we live forever, but you lead us in "keep quilting as long as possible."

patty a. said...

I don't know what design you planned on using for your Christmas in July quilt, but it might be fun just to put a few blocks up on the design wall every month until you decided whether you want to make it or not. I know if were started and you didn't want to finish it, you could put it in one of your pop up shops and someone would be ecstatic to buy and finish it. Quilting is what is keeping you young and active both physically and mentally! What else would you do all day if you didn't have quilting?! There is no time limit to what you accomplish every day. So when you feel good, do the work. When you get tired, take that nap! I have been quilting for almost 50 years and I never thought about that I would still be making quilt all those years later!

Nann said...

I think it's time to make that Christmas quilt!

NeverBored said...

As I approach my 80's (next year) you are an inspiration to not think about how much longer I will be able to quilt, just keep doing it ! It gives me pleasure and there's no limit to the number of charity quilts needed that my abundant stash can produce.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I may see t things differently but that particular Christmas quilt for me would be a "let it go" project. Zipper is MUCH more your style and has you invested (glad you chose staggered for your wild card fabric) mentally and hopefully without so much up and down to the design wall effort. Do what you love, not what you think you 'should' do.

Kristin said...

You are an inspiration!

helenreimers said...

I will have a birthday coming this weekend, 73. You are definitely an inspiration to me. So l will keep quilting.

Nancy J said...

Keeping our brains,minds and fingers active is what being 80 plus is all about.I have a friend who lives just round the corner, her birthday was just a few days before mine, we shared the joys of her walking with her dog, mine with sewing and knitting, and at our ages just thinking about a new project is fun. I agree, put those Christmas fabric on the design wall and let them simmer for a while, inspiration is always there for you.

Anonymous said...

Quilt making is a passion, it goes on forever!

Barbara Anne said...

Oh, yes, hope you jump in and make your Christmas quilt. Come December, you'll be glad you did!
Love the fabrics you're sewing for the new quilt.

Hugs!

Cherie Moore said...

I’m with Julie on the Christmas quilt……don’t make it because you feel you “have to” or if it will stress your body. You have so many exciting ideas and fabric that are way more deserving of your talents. At 66, I desire to emulate you as I age……making fun quilts with visual interest that make my heart happy…..and giving visitors a choice to pick one to take with them if they wish.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

When I taught myself quilting many years ago I never really thought would I still be quilting now in my 70's I'm glad I am and there are still many to make and still learning new things occasionally!! it keeps our minds active for sure. We do design, math, color, draw things out or work on the computer - I really don't think I thought I would be doing this so many years.

Needled Mom said...

That will definitely give you a few days of sewing! It will look amazing in those fabrics. I, too, find my quilting choices are more selective as the 80s knock at my door. Since I have enough fabric to last till I’m at least 200, I’m going with the “eat dessert first” mentality. 😂

JJM said...

Great post today Wanda ~ your Zipper quilt top is so full of extraordinary vivid fabrics ~ its going to be another of your beauties. And you deserve all the accolades for creating quilts year after year even before you began your blog. So how many total years have you been creating ?