Saturday, June 15, 2024

Squirrel or chipmunk?


I had to leave early yesterday morning for an appointment and this is what I found when I got home.  I suspect a sqirrel looking for a place to plant a walnut.




I got 2 quilts back from the longarmer so now I have some binding in my near future.  The top one will have a Kaffe fabric and will be hand finished.  I'm not sure on the one on the bottom.  The backing and half of the fabrics on the front are batik.


I found 2 that might work on the 16 patch.  I don't have very many African fabrics with enough inches for the binding.





Here are more blocks next to the 2 choices.






This is the batik backing.  Only less than 1/2" of the binding shows when finished so I think they are both still contenders.






I picked another tomato a couple days ago and it is turning red.  It was pale orange when I picked it.  I put the can there for perspective for size of the Early Girl tomato.  I also had one yellow Sun Gold cherry tomato ripen and I picked and ate it.  There are 29 green tomatoes on the 8 plants in the backyard.

My little neighbor girls were able to pick one Early Girl tomato off their plant.  The other one I planted for them is the little Sun Gold cherry tomatoes.

10 comments:

Julierose said...

I like the blue-ish batik for your binding....I think this last step is always challenging--it can make the quilt look so good [or not!]--always tough for me to decide...either one would work--though I personally find working on black when hand stitching to be very hard on my eyes these days...
Hugs, Julierose

Nann said...

How about using different prints for the binding? That would work well with the variety in the blocks. Lots of chipmunks and squirrels in our yard, too.

cityquilter grace said...

last year i gave away 11 cherry tomato plants hoping i'd get a few tomatoes as a thank you...nope not one...

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

The quilts all look fantastic! yes I bet you got a squirrel or something getting at your plants.

Quiltdivajulie said...

The squirrels here bury acorns in our large backyard pots - we keep removing the baby oak trees that grow from them . . .

Mary said...

If it were nighttime in Texas, I would suspect armadillos or skunks. You must have very strong squirrels.

Barbara Anne said...

I like the bluish batik but bow to your wonderful color sense and magnificent stash for the final choice of binding fabric or fabrics!

Our squirrels plant the acorns in my large flower pots and in the yard.

Hope the plant that fell will recover quickly.

Hugs!

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

We don't have chipmunks here, but we have plenty of squirrels. I do not like them. To me they are just rats with fluffy tails. And very destructive. I used to plant Early Girl tomatoes and loved them. But they don't seem to like it here.

Vicki W said...

I love that black one for the binding.

Agile Jack said...

Hi Wanda. I don't remember seeing the quilt on the top of the two folded quilts. Do you have a link that shows the full quilt? It's the one with the woven stripes. Thanks!

Anne