Sunday, June 2, 2024

4 background fabrics...............


I cut enough background squares to make one block of each of the 3 new background fabrics.  It isn't that noticeable that it changes but it will be a lot more fun making the blocks with variety.  This will be a small quilt, just 4 x 6 blocks so I'm 1/4 done now.  I have all of the fabrics paired for the rest of the blocks.


We finally got some rain yesterday.  I have an old rain gauge and bought a new that I thought would be better.  Unfortunately they don't agree with each other so I don't know which one is correct.  One said .4" and the other .5".  I went out to check the front garden as it was close to sunset.


I'm continually surprised at how tall this Coral Bell gets.  It is the last to bloom.






This is the 4th summer for the Boxwood bushes and I have never trimmed them.  I have seen people trim them in a ball shape or a square shape.  I really don't want too formal of a look for them but wonder if I should trim them a little.


This is the darkest leaf Coral Bell that I have.  I love the variety of leaf colors.

I will have some flowers blooming soon.  I have a red shaggy center Coneflower plant that has several buds.  Next to it is Veronica which will be purple.  I also have Black Eyed Susan planted in this front bed.  I removed 3 Hostas last fall that were getting too sunburned in this east facing flower bed.


Before the first frost last fall I pulled the 3 Geranium plants out of the porch pots and put them in a small pail.  I put it in my heated garage which is usually about 55 degrees all winter and added some water about 4 times over the winter.  One plant had only one live stem but the others are starting to fill out now after I planted them in this pot.  I'm expecting them to look a lot better in another month. 

8 comments:

Julierose said...

Your gardens look beautiful-- coming into bloom so well, Wanda:))) The dark coral bells' leaves are so pretty!!

Only 50 here early this morning...but sunny once again.

Going to a Pot Luck supper this evening and making trifle for dessert today--I haven't made this in ages--hope it turns out okay...

I really like those similar backgrounds--it does give a lot of interest to this piece!!
Hugs for a great Sunday -- Julierose

Sue said...

I love all of your flowers and would like to know what the dark red plant is beneath the bright green coral bell. We moved to town after selling our farm in November and the new house has even more flower beds than I had before.

Mary said...

I'm glad you were able to over-winter some of your geranium plants. They are so very pricey.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

all of your plants seem to be growing so well and filling in the area really good. I don't have two rain gauges but Mike has two thermometers - one is on the front side of the house and one is on the back. They are always reading different - I say go with one but he seems to like checking them to see the difference

Mindy said...

I, too, would like to know what the purple-y (that's what it looks like on my computer) plant is below the green coral bell. Looks like great ground cover. Love seeing all of your flowers. ~Mindy from Indy

JJM said...

I love the photo of the entire front garden ~ it looks like it’s one of your quilts laying out front. All your plants are really putting on a beautiful show…… An awesome care taker you are for sure.

JJM

Barbara Anne said...

Wonderful variety of background fabrics and they will add interest and fun to the quilt you're making. Variety is also the spice of life in quilt-making!

Your garden is lovely in its variety,too.

Hugs!

Nann said...

Coral bells are pretty as plants as well as when they flower. We had a lot of rain yesterday but it was dry enough for me to mow this afternoon. Meanwhile: the new 'woven' blocks are great!