Friday, June 21, 2024

First finish for June 2024.................


I have made so many 16 patch quilts and every one of them has its own personality.  I guess that's why I know I will still make more of them.

This one is special.  The 16 patch blocks are African fabric and mottled batik fabrics.  The batik blocks sprinkled through the quilt?  A favorite batik bought so many years ago and with that crazy limey green background I just never could find a quilt it fit into.  This one was perfect.  


The batik backing fabric is another of those unique fabrics that just never found its quilt before.  It wasn't that I didn't try to use it on several others; I did.  Click on the photo to see it close up.

The quilt is 62.5" x 78.5" and has Hobbs 80/20 batting in it.  The binding is a Bali batik from the early 1990s when they used a lot of Africa motifs for their fabrics.  I will have this quilt thrown over the bench in my living room so I can enjoy it this summer.

Speaking of summer, it's finally official as of yesterday afternoon.  I hope we are getting the 90s out of the way so we can have nice weather for the rest of the season.  We had missed out on all of the measurable rain since June 5th but yesterday we got one tenth of an inch of rain.  I hope the rain predicted for Saturday night will beat that.  Our grass is turning brown.

I have chosen a few candidates for the binding on the Kaffe quilt that is next in line.  I hope one of them will work.

13 comments:

Julierose said...

Just love alternate block fabrics in that limey green one!!
We haven't had any rain either--just a few spritzes here and there! I wish
we could stay in the 70's for temps but I know temps are going to soar throughout this Summer.
70 here at 6:30 am! We may get some thunderstorms over the weekend and hopefully some much needed rains...hugs for a great weekend;))) Julierose

Mary said...

That IS a neat backing fabric! Hopefully you'll get milder tempereatures.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love the lime green squares - it fits with quilt perfectly!

Nann said...

In addition to the great fabrics, the design appeals because the squares are sprinkled among the 16ps, rather than following a precise layout.

Jackie said...

Love your 16 patch quilts. Do you have a tutorial for the 16 patch?
Thanks,
Jackie

JJM said...

Your June finish is quite a showpiece ! So full of your fabulous fabrics ~ and a backing that is as well.

JJM

Anonymous said...

If I could, I would send you two inches of rain out of the four inches we have had this week.
deb

Barbara Anne said...

Well done in finishing this wonderfully colorful quilt and I love its backing fabrics. How perfect!

Please send rain here as we're parched, the grass and weeds have turned brown and no rain is likely in the coming few days. Wish the global rain would go where it's needed and not dump too much in any one place. Oh, well, I'm not in charge. :)

Hugs!

Linda Swanekamp said...

It is a beautiful quilt and such a great size. It has been hot here with a pinch of rain, too hot to go outside and enjoy the flowers.

Vicki W said...

That's a great finish! I really love that green batik and it was a perfect fit for this quilt.

MaryJo said...

Your quilt is perfect. So glad you found a home for your 2 misfit fabrics - and they each get to shine in the same quilt !

GranChris said...

I love these. Can I ask where you buy your African fabrics from? I am a caretaker so I must purchase online but I have been warned the quality can vary a lot. I make a lot of quilts for Oncology patients and I think this would be a great addition.

Patty said...

The quilt turned out wonderful! I never get tired of a 16 patch/checkerboard quilt. The limey green batik is so good!