Thursday, June 13, 2024

Hard work.................

I can't believe it took me almost all day yesterday to prepare 2 huge backings and cut batting.  Well actually I didn't start until after lunch.  This was the larger of the 2 and the backing pieces were 91" long, to press, seam, and cut the excess backing fabric off.  Then press the seam.  The batting was cut off the roll and then refolded the other direction so I could trim off the excess.  The only good part is my Fitbit thought I was walking as I was flinging my arms to keep moving the backing while ironing it, so I call them bonus steps.


Repeat for quilt number 2.  They will be heading off to my longarm friend since they are large.


Yesterday someone said there were several Wanda Hanson accounts on PayPal and she didn't know which one was me.  That lead me to do an internet search for Wanda S Hanson and see if any other ones came up.  Well, I was in for a surprise.  No there weren't any more but there was one thing in the search that intrigued me, "Vintage handmade quilt Wanda Hanson" so I had to click on it.  It was an Etsy shop and the quilt pictured had already been sold.  Now just in case you are going to look this up, remember there weren't quilt shops in the early 70s so quilts were made from scraps on hand, in my case from making clothing for my daughter and several other people when I was a custom seamstress.  Also, be sure you know the current slang that the young folks are using: the word sick is a high compliment.

When I clicked on it the search title I found photos of the quilt and the review from the person who bought it and a reply from the Etsy shop owner.  Click on the little photo of the jacket under the seller's response and read the whole review (the buyer was so excited!).  The buyer gave the Instagram name for her shop so I was able to read the comments and her replies to her readers about the jacket.  She also made a second jacket and used the red convertible block on it.  (I know some of you don't have Instagram accounts so you won't be able to see her entries.) The seller had purchased the quilt at an estate sale in IL.  I always wonder what happens to the older quilts I made.

10 comments:

Sally Langston Warren said...

Wow! That’s so interesting (your old quilt). So the question remains: did she do you proud?

Nann said...

How flattering! We chatted about quilt labeling and having our quilts traced back to us-- in this case, that was a good thing.

Mary said...

How fun! Of course I HAD to explore this vintage quilt and coat using the clues you left for us.

JJM said...

I enjoyed your story about one of your ‘vintage’ quilts. Good internet searching I’d say.

And long hours of prepping for your large quilts is a good job done, for sure.

JJM

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I had to look it up to see - how neat - yes I do wonder also what happened to a few way back when that I lost track of also.
You got done with a bit working with large pieces of backing and batting can be tiring.

Julierose said...

SO much work making those backings--but you got them done!! :)))
77 here at noontime--Food shopping early morning, cleaning shelves and fighting little ants in my kitchen!! Also took some small scraps out my tea dye solution and am drying them outside...
Busy times,,,,hugs, Julierose

Barbara Anne said...

I also find it a tiring workout to piece or even cut backing fabrics for large quilts and cannot now afford to have my large quilts quilted by a long arm quilter. Sigh!

How wonderful you could track what became of your older quilt. I also wonder what became of the quilts I've donated to various causes around the world.

Hugs!

Vicki W said...

I found the jacket she made on Instagram. So very cool!

patty a. said...

That is work to get the quilts prepped for your quilter, but it will be nice to get them back almost done! I sometimes wonder where my quilts end up. That was fun to trace the life of one of yours!

O'Quilts said...

I cannot find your old quilt from etsy??