Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Counting, sorting, cutting............and baking..........


The first thing I did yesterday was to count the pieces for one of the Australian fabric quilts and make sure I had even amounts of dark and light pieces.  Also I needed to know if I had the same number of triangles as long rectangles.  I have enough for 23 blocks and I'll need 24 so eventually I'll look for another fabric to finish up.


I put all of the pieces in a project box with the 9 big prints for centers.  I need to cut 14 more of them.







I went ahead and sewed the first block and put it in the project box with the pieces.






Then I cut enough more triangles for 64 more 2 triangle squares.  I needed 80 total to finish the cutting for the Bear Paw blocks.  So a little more cutting for the last 16.....



I was totally out of cookies, none in the pantry, none in the freezer so I had to bake last night.  I had a discussion with someone about gas vs. electric ovens when baking cookies.  I have a gas oven, my mother had electric.  She always had to flatten the tops of the ginger cookies or they would bake mounded up.  I never flatten mine and they come out flattened after baking.  Her chocolate chip cookies were always taller than mine too.

 

11 comments:

patty a. said...

That yellow print with the red X across it is stunning! You are so much more patient than I am. I would never count my pieces. I would just cut until I think I have enough and when I go to sew them together I would either be short and have to cut out of few more or have a couple blocks leftover. You got a lot done yesterday with the Australian fabrics and cutting triangles out for the Bear Claw. Add to that baking cookies and you had a busy day!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I always love seeing all the variety of fabric colors/prints that you have - so pretty all placed together.
I don't think I have ever had a gas stove/oven always electric. some of my cookies mound up and some don't - I always thought it depended on if you were using butter/margarine/shortening?

Julierose said...

Those cookies look so yummy--;))) I've never gotten Austrailian fabrics--they do look a bit like African ones, don't you think?
Hugs [from still under covid !] Julierose

Vicki W said...

The Aussie quilt is going to be awesome!

JJM said...

Your Australian fabrics are stunning, the fine details in each print is what makes them so unique. This is one I’m really excited to watch grow.

JJM

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

Love the Australian beginning!

Barbara Anne said...

I'm another quilter who wouldn't count, but cut, sew, and cut more as needed. Love your fabrics as always.

Your cookies look scrumptious, too!

Hugs!

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Those Australian fabrics are going to make a stunning quilt if the first block is any indication, and I'm sure it is!
My mouth is watering looking at those cookies.
I love our gas range. In apartments here I lived with electric stoves for many years. I was so thankful when we bought our home and I could have a gas range!

Quiltdivajulie said...

We currently have an electric oven - with DH’s bread baking, we do miss our gas oven from when we lived in Indiana. Your aboriginal fabrics are glorious. I have finally decided on a design for mine. Now to get them die cut before I overthink it yet again.

Anne Ibach said...

Your Aboriginal fabrics are gorgeous! So much color. Can't wait to see this come together!

Mystic Quilter said...

We have an electric oven, had gas when in our home before we came to NZ, I prefer gas for the hob because of the instant heat reduction or increase. The ginger cookies look perfect!