Wednesday, February 1, 2023

January 2023 monthly recap............














There were 2 total finishes in January, one at the beginning of the month and the other at the end. The neutral color batik quilt on the left is 54" x 74.5".  On the right is Scrappy Friendship Star 47" x 59".


In between those 2 finishes I made 5 quilt tops.  Two of them were made from Kaffe fabric strips that were cut about 10 years ago so they went together fast.  Top left is a 16 patch baby quilt top 40.5" square.  Bottom left is Chroma Zone 45" x 54", all 9 patches with 5 light/4 dark.  Most of the strips to make that one were cut closer to 20 years ago. To the right of those 2 is the neutral batik quilt with positive/negative blocks alternated and then a column of 16 patches added to the right side, 50" x 66".  All of the triangles were already cut and waiting to be sewn into blocks.  To the right of the neutral top is My Fantasy Garden, my antidote to the gloomy January where we had a big lack of sunshine.  It is 54.5" x 65".  Half of the Ohio Star blocks were made in January last year.  On the right, green and yellow woven look is 51" x 70".

This is  documentation for myself:

The inspiration for this quilt came from a free pattern on the Timeless Treasures website.  I didn't follow their fabric requirements or cutting directions because I wanted it larger than the pattern quilt. It finished at 54" x 74.5".




On the back is a batik I bought many years ago, probably at least 20 years ago with the intention of using it for a backing.  Finally there was a quilt it looked good with.  Click on photo for a closer look.

10 comments:

patty a. said...

You had a great month!

Mary said...

All that precutting you did years ago has really paid off. I've found myself doing a lot of fabric prepping this week as we wait out the winter storm.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I agree with Mary half the work is done when you have so many pieces already cut and then you can sit back and piece - you have a lot of nice finishes.

helenreimers said...

Fantastic. Your January was very busy. Great job.

JustGail said...

Another batch of great quilts & tops. I was ambivalent about the neutral batik. Now seeing it done, I like it.

I find the idea of cutting fabric up before knowing what it will be used for interesting. How do you decide what to cut them into when you have no idea what they'll be used for? Or were they cut for another project but not used? Do you cut fabrics into sizes that your Accuquilt dies use most often, strips of various sizes, or something else? Sorry if you've answered this many times before, I didn't see a tag or tab that might have answered my curiosity.

JJM said...

You started 2023 off with a bang ! So many lovely quilt tops and 2 great finishes.


JJM

Julierose said...

What lovely finishes --all in one month, too!! I love that batik backing also--such a pretty one!!
Only 24 degrees this a.m. We're supposed to have temps dropping down into the teens Fri-Sat...good days to stay in and sew;))) hugs, Julierose
P.S. Still no snow accumulation at all ;(((

Barbara Anne said...

What glorious quilts and I love your fabric choices! Applause!!!

Kristin said...

I love all your quilts and tops!

Mystic Quilter said...

Oh congratulations on a magnificent collection of finishes!!