Saturday, February 4, 2023

12 more............


There are 12 more blocks in this photo, 2 of each combination so I'm up to 56 six inch blocks now.  I have 2 more combinations I may cut today so I'll wait on that before I work these into the layout on the design wall (on yesterday's post).


It was -1 degrees when I got up yesterday, just a one day deep dip into the cold again.  Jack Frost visited my kitchen window.  It got up to 7 in the afternoon.  Today is supposed to be mid 30s so how is that for a big change.



The second bud has fully bloomed now on the orange cactus.  The red one by the east window should be open tomorrow or the next day.  No more buds on any of the remaining 13 cacti plants.  No sign of a bud on any of the 3 Amaryllis bulbs I babied all through the summer and fall and then into the dark and cool for 10 weeks.

 

10 comments:

Julierose said...

At 6 am here it is minus 6 and the windchill is minus 15!! A definite stay inside and warm day!!
Love how your hearts are coming together...Such a pretty project...
Stay warm as you can hugs, Julierose

Anonymous said...

You've got me thinking about heart blocks! Maybe at the middle of a log cabin baby quilt?

I told the 7 pots of amaryllis at the end of last summer that anyone who didn't bloom this year will be composted; they just are not attractive foliage plants! And a total of one blossom on many many holiday cactus. Clearly I am doing something wrong.

Ceci

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I hope you get a show of flowers soon and that the amaryllis will bloom, it is sad that a lot of times they are good for only one season and won't come back again.
We are in a warm up stage now and will be in the 50-60s for a week and wet - plenty of rain coming I think I hope we have some dry days so we can enjoy the outside.

Anonymous said...

I’d like some tips for getting cactus blooms. I’ve had them off and on for years but was given one at Christmas and it’s only few tiny buds have died and dropped off. Bright natural light, not overwatering, temps warmer here in Texas of course. But it’s puzzling. Fertilizer?

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I cannot sign in to my google for some reason. I will copy and paste this into an email. From “anonymous” commenter above. grannaishere (at) Verizon (dot) net

JJM said...

What a fun batch of hearts to add with the rest. It’s been such heart warming quilt top to watch grow.

No words needed for your photo of your frosty window scene, photo says it all.

JJM

Nann said...

Yesterday I went out only to take the trash bins to the street and get the newspaper (and to bring the trash bins back). Today's 40 temps will be welcome! Your hearty project is coming along nicely.

Linda Swanekamp said...

It was three here when I got up. The happy hearts are so fun to look at. Love the new bloom!

Agile Jack said...

7 degrees for a high?!?!?! that's horrible! I'm glad it doesn't get that cold here!

patty a. said...

The low here was 7 then it went up to 35. I hope that is the last Artic blast we have this winter.