Sunday, February 19, 2023

Three quilts left my house............


A couple of my favorite people stopped by yesterday and I let them choose some quilts.  This was the first one they chose.  It is 70.5" x 90".  It was finished in 2014.









This is the second one they chose.  It is 66" x 91" and has 120 different batik fabrics in it.  I always wanted this one to go to someone special.  It was finished in 2017.










This is the third one they chose, one of my very favorites.  It was finished in 2021.  It is a scrappy batik Bear Paw  with a favorite batik for the border.  It is 54" x 67.5".  
I love having people choose their own quilts instead of just guessing what they would like.  Now that this Bear Paw quilt has left my house I think I have permission to make another scrappy batik version.


Last night I finished sewing the heart blocks and the 4 patches.  I haven't pinned on the bottom row of 4 patches yet but they are all sewn.  In a photo some areas look dark and others light but I don't notice it that much when I'm looking at it from the sewing chair.  I will probably move a few blocks but basically it is almost ready to sew.  It will be about 60" x 78" when sewn.
I also got the last 2 Snail's Trail blocks sewn so I can start playing with the layout on a design wall in the basement.

15 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

I can understand why those were your favorites, just wonderful. Just don't make my mistake of showing ones that you don't want to leave. i love the way you sewed the checkerboard around the hearts. It pushes the quilt beyond in beauty.

Julierose said...

Three beautiful choices for your friends;)))
I love how the hearts are looking..such a pretty quilt...
31 here this morning weak sunshine out there...hugs, Julierose

Chantal said...

I'm so in love with the first quilt from 2014. WOW! What a stunner! The border fabric is just perfect. Those are very lucky people to get those wonderful quilts. You definitely have permission to make another scrappy batik quilt, haha. Great heart quilt. Enjoy! ;^)

Michelle said...

All of these quilts are beautiful! Lucky friends! I’m working on a Bear Paw quilt myself at the moment.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I like the four patch blocks that go around the hearts - it really finishes it well.
It is so nice to move quilts on to a new home, last fall I took some photos of quilts that could leave and had my brother and sister look at them and chose one so I would know what they liked better than me just bringing something that they might not care for - like color for example. It makes it easier when they are not near by and you want to bring when traveling instead of shipping.

Nann said...

They chose well! I'm still convincing myself that dispossessing myself of my quilts is a good thing for many reasons, not the least of which is that it gives me a good excuse to make more!

Vicki W said...

Well, they have great taste! I remember you making that first one. I love it. It's such a great feeling when someone actually wants one of or quilts!

JJM said...

And what a great friend you are !!!! Giving three spectacular quilts away. I’m sure your friends went home with such joy to be gifted with one of your originals . They will be treasured forever.

Can’t wait to see your finished layout of your hearts…… This piece has just grown even more prettier with every new block you have added.

JJM

Anonymous said...

I wouldn’t be surprised if more “friends” drop by for a visit! Very generous of you to share your talent with others. Miriam in Texas.

Cathy said...

That sounds like a fun time for everyone - I'll bet they had a tough time deciding on which quilt they liked best.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

That is the best way to give quilts is to let people choose their own, if you can part with them. These are all so wonderful.

Vicki said...

This post was such a treat for my eyes! Beautiful, beautiful quilts!

patty a. said...

Sounds like three quilts will have good homes!

Michele said...

They are all beautiful and while I am hard pressed to choose my favorite, I think it would have to be #2. I love the colors and haven't seen a TATW quilt from rectangles before.

You are as talented as you are generous!

Mystic Quilter said...

Your friends would have been thrilled to have the opportunity to be gifted one of your quilts, three beauties were chosen. I hope you do make another batik Bear Paw quilt!