Monday, June 1, 2009

Mystery flowers.......
Fifteen years ago a friend gave me some perennials from her garden. She said this one came from her grandmother's garden and her grandmother called it heliotrope. It is a prairie type plant and spreads by root. This plant is about 4' tall and the flowers are very sweet smelling.
This is what the leaves look like. It isn't anything like the perennial heliotrope so I don't know if that is the right name. Does anyone know what it is? The flowers are delicate looking.
I want to thank all of the people who commented yesterday and had the same feelings that I do about the music on blogs. Several people mentioned turning off my sound. I happen to have it set very low, just enough to hear the sound that incoming email makes. Some suggested hitting the pause button on the music box on the blog. That is almost impossible on some blogs because they have placed it at the very bottom and have 10 or more entries to scroll past to find it.


I think one of the biggest issues is how slow the blog loads with the music box on it. Some people just give up waiting for it to load. Also I have my blog set to have 7 posts on the main page. I used to have 14 but found out my dial up readers gave up trying to load the blog because it took too long. When I changed it to 7 they found it loaded much faster. I think that if you want people to read your blog, you should make it easy for the readers to load it. Of course that is another whole subject whether you want people reading your blog or not.

12 comments:

Vicky F said...

Hi Wanda,
Sounds like you hit a hot button yesterday with the blog music.

As for your plant, I am not a botanist, but there are old-fashioned white heliotropes, so it may be one. The flowers look to be in the borage family, of which heliotrope is a member.

Vicky F

Dolores said...

I don't have music and I believe in the KISS theory. I turn off my speakers so that if someone does have music on their blog, I wouldn't know.

Anonymous said...

I think your plant is valerian. t's about 3' tall and has a very strong fragrance. It also tends to be somewhat invasive - spreads fast.

hetty said...

I have heard of white heliotrope, but the leaves of your plant confuse me. They don't look like heliotrope leaves. I think it might be in the parsley family. Its flowers look very much like my Sweet Cicely, but the leaves are different. What do the seeds look like?

hetty said...

Just read the comment by Anonymous and I think I agree that your plant is probably Valeriana. You can see it on Wikipedia.

Cathi said...

I have no idea what your flowering plant is other than it's very pretty! Anything nicely scented in a garden is a treat.

Beena said...

These flowers look like some that I have seen in an Alphonse Mucha painting. But I don't have a clue as to what kind of flowers they are! Plant life eludes me, and I have the opposite of a "green thumb". I probably couldn't even get weeds to grow (laughing).

I find that while some of the blogs I visit regularly with the music take forever to load, I still return because I like those blogs/bloggers. I'm much more patient when it's a blog, than if it's a web site. There's this one major television network web site I go to that I feel like throwing my keyboard out the window everytime because of how long it takes to load.

Anonymous said...

Your blossoms look like our wild "Bear Grass" that we have in our mountains. And they are tall like your domestic plant. Thank goodness for our bontanist ancestors. I just heard that all flowering plants that we have today were wild. Always a treat to get photo's from your garden.

J~MT

p.s. I hope all that have added music to their blogs, read yesterdays comments on your blog.

floribunda said...

We have a ton of valerian around the yard -- your flowers look right, but not those leaves... but it definitely doesn't look like heliotrope either!

TB said...

The flowering plant is most unusual--don't think I've ever seen it's type or heard of it. As for sound, when a blog has music, I generally exit the blog as it is too much for me. I have a hard enough time with all the visuals.

SueR said...

It's a pretty flower but "Invasive" is a bad word in my book (brought on by wild violets)! I've got the upper hand this summer though. I missed the part about the music. My speakers are turned off all the time, so the issue for me is how much it slows everything down. I can't visit those sites anymore because nothing will load!

Wanda said...

I don't know what the plant is but it looks like something I see growing wild in the park where I ride my bike. It is beautiful. Thanks for the tip on the 14 vs 7 issue.