Sunday, June 7, 2009

I spent a lot of time outside yesterday........
On Friday they were predicting rain for Saturday night and Sunday so I decided I had better get the outside work done first. My coral bells are blooming and the evening primrose is starting in some areas. The tiger lilies are getting tall (and so is that maple tree by the porch). I pulled bunches of weeds in the back garden and transplanted a cone flower that wasn't where I wanted it.
My son's family gave me a tomato plant for Mother's Day and the tag said it could be grown in a container. I have 11 tomatoes on it right now.
A couple days ago I saw this little baby bunny in my back yard. I hope he knows he should be eating the dandelion plants.
This is a close up of him chewing. Too bad it isn't a video.
I didn't actually have any sewing time yesterday but I found the cheat sheet picture of the blocks on the design wall so I can be sure I'm sewing the right 2 together for each block.
I have a bunch of these tiny selvage pieces that I am going to have to come up with a mini project for.
I met 2 of my students yesterday morning to help them choose fabric for one of my classes and they took me out to lunch afterwards. They have been students of mine for over 20 years. I met them when I started the quilting classes at our local community college in the 1980's. Classes were popular through the community education program for 15 years. Then more quilt shops opened in the area and the students preferred taking their classes at a shop where they could buy fill in fabric during a class. We were reminiscing about the many locations that the classes were given in. We used several high school home ec. rooms and a couple churches.

10 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

spring is wonderful isn't it. I always like this time of year when all the plants are growing - now it's a different story next month when it starts to get hot and humid!
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Jean said...

Your flowers are lovely...love the cute bunny. We had a terrific storm here overnight Friday night, then it rained almost all night last night. Still gloomy this morning. We need the rain, for sure, so can't complain. It has been a cool spring so far. That is how I like it.

jovaliquilts said...

We have a family or two of bunnies that live in our yard, so I don't grow vegetables. Drove into the driveway this morning and glanced at the front door -- there was a little rabbit just sitting right in front! Even though they don't always know what they shouldn't eat, I love having them around.

Cher said...

wow, tomatoes on your plant...we just got our growing season started here in Oregon...I just planted seeds yesterday! love all your fabulous plants. I like your curved piecing project..that is up next for me to learn-cute small selvage pieces..

Anonymous said...

Your Saturday was another full one for you and as always you accomplish more than two people together would. Love your photo's of your front garden and bunnies.

Anxiously waiting now to see what you do with those small selvages.

J~MT

Vicky F said...

Hi Wanda
Your porch pots and other plantings are looking good. Which direction does your porch face? Looks like your plants could take some sun.

And I, too, would like to see what neat thing you will come up with for the selvage-with-hunk-of-fabric pieces.
Vicky F

Laurel said...

Your peonies look great. Mine are still in the budding stage in WI. I spent an hour this afternoon pulling weeds and trimming back a row of some flowering trees. I couldn't run the lawn mower under them and that's the stopping point for me.

Purple Pam said...

Your garden is absolutely beautiful. I think we are working on the same (or a similar) curved piecing design. I have pieced cut out, but not enough to actually start sewing them together. I like your choice of colors.

Wanda said...

Your garden looks beautiful! I love to see things grow and change. I've got tomatoes on my plants too...I just have no idea how long it takes for them to get ripe! ha ha I only have 6 plants so I baby them way too much!

imquilternity said...

Please share your ideas for the mini-selvages because I have a whole lot of them too! :)