Saturday, June 13, 2009

Blocks measured, layout drawn............
I made a layout of the blocks I have been working on and drew in a few that I have to make yet (marked with X's). I ran out of room on the right side of paper so the measurements are written in but the whole blocks aren't drawn. I will tape 2 pieces of graph paper together so I can finish it. I haven't had time to play with the fill in fabrics yet.
I spent a lot of time outside yesterday pulling weeds and planting flowers because rain was predicted overnight. That will give the flowers a good start. Next I have to tackle the aggressive plants and bushes. I will dig out a bunch of evening primrose and trim the gold mound spirea. The lambs ear is aggressive too so I will dig it out and move it somewhere else.
The ground cover at the bottom of the picture is 2 different kinds which travel by root and are really hard to control. I am going to try to dig it all out of that one section so I have a path through the garden. Gardening is rewarding but hard work. We have had perfect growing seasons for a couple years.

7 comments:

Kim Brackett said...

Looks like you've got a plan going there. Can't wait to see what happens next!

Have fun digging!

Anonymous said...

I can see a good plan in the works. This is going to be an exciting piece.

I agree gardening is a lot of work but so rewarding.

J~MT

Julie S said...

Quilting and Gardening...can there be a better combination? I think not!

Thank you for sharing your creative process; I am learning about think-out-of-the-box quilt design from following your blog. It is the natural next phase in quilt making. My long-term goal/calling is to make church banners, and your blog is mentoring my development.

Barbara Strobel Lardon said...

Looking good. The drawing looks like it is going to work our great!

I am battling some root traveling ground cover as well. I have to walk the garden daily to see if it is once again coming up somewhere. Very hard to get rid of or confine once it is there. I "think" I am winning right now.

Rebel said...

check you out, gettin' all scientific with your quilt! I love it. I have pages and pages of quilts scetched out on graph paper in a notebook at home.

Cathi said...

I can't wait to see the background you choose for those blocks!

Leslie said...

Oops - I'm a bit behind. It was very helpful to see you trying different arrangements of these blocks on your design wall, and then using graph paper to formalize and give structure to the design. Thanks!