Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Final layout decision...........

I have decided this is the final layout for the X and + blocks.  I moved the first one in the second row and exchanged it with the second one in the 5th row if you are going to compare it to yesterday's photo.  I thought there was too much dark clumped together before and think the balance is better now.  I have alternated blocks with darker Xs with blocks with lighter Xs hoping the diagonal grid is stronger that way.  I hung a strip of the background fabric along the right side edge, contemplating whether it should have a border.
In the colorful outside the Rose of Sharon bushes are just starting to bloom.  I haven't noticed many Japanese beetles yet but they usually are thick when the bushes are in full bloom.


Here is another color.  I also have another shade of lavender but they aren't in bloom yet.

6 comments:

patty a. said...

The quilt top looks great! The colors are nicely balanced and I can see the small changes you made. The flowers are so pretty. It has been so hot here that my Shasta daisies are starting to fade already.

Hedy said...

I love your quilt but I keep looking at that bottom row, it appears too dark to me. Is it me? Flowers look great, my Rose of Sharon bushes started blooming last week and are full now. I have pink, white and lilac.

Sylvia Anderson said...

Boy, was I wrong, regarding which blocks you were going to move! When I look at it, my eye goes right to the 2nd. vertical row, and sees the purplish tones in the 2nd, 3rd. and 4th, blocks, so it was one of them I thought you might move. I guess we all see things differently, and that's as it should be. Have a good day. Looks like another high 80's day.

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

OMG, the trick of alternating the light and dark Xs is brilliant. I squinted to see the value difference better ant the trellis effect of the diagonal grid is amazing. Thanks for sharing!

JJM said...

Adding to all the opinions today.... I really like the added border, it frames this gorgeous piece.

JJM

Mystic Quilter said...

Stunning top Wanda!! Does this quilt really need a border? I love it just as it is without any distraction.