Of course I had to try a few more choices though. This one has a very dark brown in a print called Aboriginal Dot. You might be able to see the print if you click on the photo to enlarge it.
I thought a lime green print might work so I pulled out the first one I saw and tried it. Even if it was a solid lime, I don't think it would work because it emphasizes the yellow in the blocks.
The last choice of the day yesterday was a beige background with gray and lavender circles. This one also gives a grid floating over the background look. If I want it to look more like the one in the book, the red is probably the best choice because it joins the stripped sashing where this beige one separates itself from the sashing and blocks and becomes a third element (but I like it).
I only got 5 more sashing strips made yesterday so I have a couple more days on this one.