Monday, December 29, 2008

Time to fix it

In 2004 this book came out and I really liked quite a few of the quilts in it so I bought the book. I chose to make this one and knew I had the fabric selection to make it very similar to the picture.
For this one you made 5 decks (stacks) of the fabric. I did 4 of the decks right away and pieced the blocks and then put it aside.
Then when I was ready to cut the 5th deck, I made 2 errors. I probably had the first 4 decks right side up when I cut and did number 5 face down, which makes the block swirl in the opposite direction. Now if that wasn't bad enough, mistake number 2 really did it. You were supposed to then remove the center stack and using one piece as a pattern, cut all of the centers of the same fabric for all of the blocks. I picked up strip 1 by mistake and cut up all of the remaining green fabric that I had. I realized my error as soon as I got to the third strip in sewing.
I put it aside again for a couple more years, and now I think I need to fix it. I have enough fabric of everything but the center to totally re cut the last block and make them swirl in the right direction.
You can put these blocks in any log cabin layout and I think I will do a zig zag because then I can hide the ones with the different centers in the layout without it being obvious.
Now I just have to think backwards and try to figure out how to cut the last set. I only have one more chance.




16 comments:

Vicki W said...

I have that book - I should open it!

jovaliquilts said...

Eek, how completely frustrating! You can reuse your original centers, though, can't you?

Jean said...

You can do it!!! This will be an interesting quilt...very pretty colors.

Pat said...

You are better than I am....I'd just be crying in frustration and not be able to figure it out as well as you have! Can't wait to see it all done.

Gene Black said...

I would probably just see if I could change things up and make my own creation at this point.

Oh wait, I am the one who never follows a pattern completely anyway. Ha ha

Unknown said...

I love it! I have that book as well and of course still need to make something from it. The cover quilt looks like it could be yours.

Karen said...

Once again, I love your color choices...and as for thinking backwards...that's what I do best;)
I'm sure you will have a beautiful quilt when it is finished;)

Elsie Montgomery said...

Ingenious as well as exuberant! Nice fabrics too.

Cathi said...

My head hurts just trying to think through what you're doing!! But I know you can do it!
The fabrics you're using are so pretty -- I can't wait to see the finished top!

Browndirtcottage said...

ooouuu...i would love to have this book....wowser, i hope you figure it out because this is going to be a fabulous quilt!!
i agree with jackie....the cover quilt looks like one of yours.

meggie said...

Looks like a fabulous book, & as the others say, could be your quilt on the cover.
My head hurts too, trying to follow it all through, but I am sure you can do it.

hetty said...

I am sure you can do it! No matter what you do, it will look great! I love the colours you are using.

Joyce said...

I have that book and have done several of the patterns. I really like it. I haven't done that one though. Good luck with finishing it.

Vicky F said...

Hi Wanda,
I would think with your extensive stash you'll find a fabric that's just perfect as a substitute that no one but you (and a few blog readers) would notice.

I have a hard enough time doing squared-up log cabin blocks (working on some tiny 4-inch log cabins now) that I'll leave the swirly ones to you!
Vicky F

Tine said...

Good luck! The blocks you have made are gorgeous!! I actually quite like the look of quilts where the quilter ran out of some of the fabric :) Makes it look more interesting I think....maybe that's just me. Lol!
I wish you a very happy and blessed New Year!!

Anonymous said...

Now those are exuberant colors to me. Just love those pastels. Can hardly wait till you finish this one and I know you will figure it all out and end up with another amazing piece.

J~MT