Tuesday, June 8, 2021

Sewing, pressing..........


I played around with an idea for the strip that will go at the top and bottom of this quilt top.  Then I took the big star blocks to the basement and pressed them and finished sewing them together into one big piece.  When I brought it back upstairs I hung it a few more inches to the right so the border didn't line up.  Since it was a real stretch to get it up as high as I did I decided not to take it down and move it to the left for this photo.  I'm going to test a Kaffe stripe to possibly use as an insert strip before the top and bottom pieced border strips get added.


We had very light rain earlier in the day and a little heavier rain about 8 p.m.  It ended up a little over a tenth of an inch by 9 p.m.  When I watched the evening news they said there was heavy rain in the county south of us.  We have a little more chance of rain today and tomorrow.

Here are the blue bellflowers that come up all over.  This is the first one to bloom.  I have been pulling them out all over and there will still be lots of them blooming...and spreading.

 

11 comments:

Dorothy said...

Nice. But not nice spreading bellflowers :-)

Julierose said...

This quilt has so much movement--really nice...
Hugs, Julierose

Connie said...

Pretty sure those are lady bells; cute blue flower I planted over 20 years ago and now cannot get rid of. Hope you have more success than I did controlling it!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

we were lucky in weather yesterday as south Arkansas had a lot of bad storms but we had very little although they had said it would be bad here too - now will be get it today and tomorrow? We have had way too much moisture this spring. Love the quilt and the colors

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

The quilt looks wonderful. I have that problem with plants - the ones I want to grow don't want to, and the ones that I want to leave, thrive abundantly.

patty a. said...

The top looks so good! There are so many options for a border. I can't wait to see which direction you take. It poured here yesterday and .5" came down. That was a nice amount! Just like you, more in the forecast every day this week. I will be happy with enough so I don't have to water!

Quiltdivajulie said...

I like what you are planning for the border additions. Another beautiful quilt top in the works!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Like the border option. Will you add a small strip in between the stars and border? Hate that bellflower plant- it always invades the more tender perennials.

JustGail said...

I'm liking this quilt, seeing so many patterns pop in and out. We barely got the driveway dampened. It's odd - I dig down in the garden bed and there's damp soil a couple of inches down, but when I go to weed the flower bed it's dry dry dry. So even more work to water, wait a bit and then dig them out.

JJM said...

This quilt is tantalizing each time I see it, love the diamond border you are auditioning. I agree your Kaffe insert between the quilt and border sounds perfect. Anxious to check in tomorrow.

JJM

Mystic Quilter said...

I like the look of the beginning of the border treatment with the stars. Bellflowers just take over, I had a clump given to me and thought they looked lovely but I became so fed up with them spreading so much I eventually was able to remove them all.