Monday, June 14, 2021

Fun in the scrap patch..................



 
I had a fun day yesterday going through the box of scraps that I define as anything smaller than a quarter yard.  Small scraps and narrow strips are in a different box so these were sizeable chunks.  I cut mostly quarter square triangles in 2 sizes, 4" and 6" finished.  This is the 6" quarter square triangles paired with the 6.5" squares that I had in another box (a box of mostly squares cut years ago).


This is what they will look like when they are sewn together.







Then I cut some 6" finished half square triangles from 4 fabrics.  This is what the blocks will look like.  I went through the box one more time and pulled 21 more fabrics that are large enough to cut 4 triangles.



I went out about 8 p.m. last night and checked on my tomatoes.  This one is turning yellow but because it was getting dark out it looks darker than it is.





My Purple Coneflowers have buds now.  I see there are a few new plants in the back garden.  They used to multiply more than they have in the last few years.








This is my favorite Hosta.  It has grown a lot since last year and I had planned on splitting it but the heat came too soon and I'm not sure I'll have a chance to do it now.  

11 comments:

Julierose said...

Those sq in sq blocks will really look so pretty...
Looks like your tomatoes are growing well...
Overcast here today--hopefully some rain will fall..

patty a. said...

My coneflowers are about at the same stage as yours. My Shasta daisies are getting ready to bloom. Those blocks will be a lot of fun to make.

Quiltdivajulie said...

We have tomatoes beginning to ripen (the cherry versions are further along that the bigger 'maters). That hosta is gorgeous!

Marnie Haines said...

And we are going to have fun watching you put together this next fabulous quilt top! Thanks for sharing your talent for color and design. Marnie

Needled Mom said...

I’m thinking the summer taste of a tomato will soon be there. Your host as are beautiful and so healthy looking.

JJM said...

I agree stitching up your triangles into squares is fun. Especially with the scraps that you have. . . Always fun to see your greenery.

June 20th officially summer…. Mother Nature decided long ago not to follow the calendar. 90 degree days here in the mountains also. Off and on since May.

JJM

The Joyful Quilter said...

I've got an Economy block quilt to waiting to be quilted. I'm still waiting to decide if I need to change the borders that I added around this time last year. Sigh... the quilt is being stubborn (or else I'm not listening hard enough!)

Mystic Quilter said...

Love the new blocks Wanda! The triangles are a good size, not too small and fiddly. Lucky you having tomatoes ripening, there can be nothing tastier than a freshly picked home grown tomato!

Charlotta said...

If you don’t mind, can you give me the measurements for the three squares you cut to make the square in a square in a square?

Cindy P. said...

I just love coneflowers and your square in a square blocks! You always inspire us with your use of colors!

Anne Ibach said...

Your tomatoes are so far ahead of mine! When do you plant them?