Saturday, September 5, 2009

Not a lot of sewing yesterday...................
I made this journal cover out of some leftover strips from another project and then added one of my sample embroideries to it.

The notebooks inside are 5" x 7" and are spiral bound.
I had a wrestling match with my weigela bushes again yesterday. Brush pickup is next week so I have been working at clean up for about 2 weeks. The weigela bushes send up straight shoots that then take off in any direction and spread out with branches. They get all intertwined so when I cut one, it takes a lot of pulling to get it out of the tangled mess. I have thinned the bushes down to about half size and next month will cut down all of the rest of the branches so it can start all over again next year. I'm stiff and sore from all of the pulling and then carrying all of it to the end of the driveway. Enough for this month!

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Another fantastic journal cover! Hubby and I need to trim down the bushes too. It is a very big task.

Eva said...

We have a weigela in our backyard; the housekeeper has it cut in a round shape like in a baroque garden; I believe that's the wrong method for this plant. It looks a little atrophic this year. The way you describe the cut seems to be a much better method. Most shrubs grow like mad after a cut, don't they?

Beena said...

Your journal covers are so wonderful!

Vicki W said...

These journal covers are great!

Jean said...

very pretty journal cover...sorry you are wrestling with bushes...I guess it will all be beautiful when done!

QuiltSue said...

but wrestling with the weigelia is really worth it, they are such beautiful bushes.

Needled Mom said...

Lovely journal cover.

Glad that you survived the battle with the bush. It is always satisfying to look at the results in spite of the soreness.

Vicky F said...

Hi Wanda,
Great journal cover as always!

I don't have experience with weigelia bushes other than admiring them in someone else's yard. Do you feel they are worth the work?

Love your bandana find shown yesterday. I usually don't find anything in Hobby Lobby or other big crafty-type stores as I get overwhelmed with too much to look at.
Vicky F

SewCalGal said...

I love the embroidered butterfly. Different for you, but really works well on this quilt.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Ruth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ruth said...

Hi Wanda,

I'm a new reader of your blog. Your latests journal cover has fabric (the green background with circles) that I used in an art journal cover. Of course, I love your journal covers! It's a great idea for using up scraps.

Ruth

Kristin L said...

ooh, I see my favorite Kaffe Fasset paperweight fabric. Ooh, I see it in three colorways. :-)

Purple Pam said...

What a beautiful butterfly.

Jaye said...

I saw the Quilts & More challenge to make a journal cover and want to do that. Seeing yours spurs me on. Thanks!
Jaye
artquiltmaker.com/blog