Friday, September 4, 2009

About 4 or 5 years ago these bandanas were available..........
at Hobby Lobby. A friend of mine got some for $1 but I paid a little more when I got mine. They are a very good quality of fabric too. My friend had cut one up with her Strips 'n Curves templates and had it in the sample quilt at a quilt shop advertising her class.
I have encouraged my art quilter friends to play with me at our Sept. meeting in designing a quilt using just these 3 template shapes. I was able to get 4 of each of these from one bandana. This is all that is left after cutting.
I found this batik on sale at equilter.com last year for under $5 a yard. I am going to play with this one now and see what interesting pieces I can cut from it. I have seen a lot of quilts made with similar shapes in magazines, books, and on the Internet. I don't know if they are using Louisa's templates or not. My plan is to cut shapes from a lot of interesting fabrics and then start playing with them on the design wall. I'm sure I will have some pieces to share with the art quilters after I see which ones I will be using.
******************
I forgot to mention yesterday that my friend said my quilts look a lot different in real life than they do in pictures (and she meant that in a GOOD way, LOL). There is such a depth to some of the quilts because of the fabrics used and they just don't photograph well. I always keep that in mind when looking at other person's quilts on blogs too. I guess that is why quilt shows are so important. You can see the real beauty in person there.

16 comments:

Jean said...

This will be stunning. I think it is hard to get the full beauty in a picture, especially since most of us don't have ideal conditions to take our pictures.

Joyce said...

I'd love to see your quilts in person. Love that batik!

imquilternity said...

I'm anxious to see what you end up! These two fabrics are really gorgeous, especially that bandana!

Unknown said...

Those fabrics are just absolutely gorgeous!! I love them both, my colors!! It will be exciting to see what you end up with. I so agree with you about what quilts look like in person vs. in a photo.

Elsie Montgomery said...

Nice fabrics, Wanda. I am determined to some day come and visit you! I want to see your quilts, but also want to see you in person!

Beena said...

Sounds like a great plan! And you are off to a great start with a bright bandana and cheery fabric colors! I can't wait to see the results!

Cathi said...

Those fabrics are going to make some gorgeous blocks! I can't wait to see what comes of these!
I too would love to see your quilts in person!

Chris Daly said...

Wow! What great finds. I can't wait to see what is next.

Renee said...

Wanda... love the idea from the bandana. I have some of those two! I am going to dig them out and see how I can cut them up. Thanks!

Quilts and Cats said...

The bandana reminds me of my tie dye days back in the 60"s (but I can't say how old I am!). Can't wait to see the end results. I happen to be cutting a quilt right now using that same template. Could you tell me where you got the acrylic templates? Thanks.

Ellen Guerrant said...

Oh Wanda - I have tons of those in with my hand-dyes. Bought them in IL where I visited my first Hobby Lobby. They are in NC now too. Haven't looked for the bandanas in a long time - hope they're still available.

Ellen.

Gina said...

Stunning fabrics. I can't wait to see the finished results

Love and hugs Gina xxx

rondiquilts said...

Thank you so for sharing your talent. I enjoy seeing all your patterns and color choices. Your blog is always such a joy to the eyes. You are generous with your talent and eye for color.
You mention Louisa's templates? Are these available for purchase somewhere? I am thinking I may try this someday....
Thank you,
Rondi

Janet said...

You really inspired me with this one. The tie dye lends itself to the strips and curves so well. If your pictures don't do your quilts justice, then they must be even more wonderful in person. Your color choices are always great.

Sue said...

This is SUCH a great idea! I went a little crazy a few years back and bought my dog a bunch of bandannas on vacation. Many gift shops have them and they often have some sort of print depicting the area. It turns out that my dog hates wearing them and most of them are brand new. Duh! I never thought of putting them in my quilt stash! And I just ordered ALL of Louisa's templates to put on my website- AND she has a new book out. The wheels in my mind are spinning! Thanks for getting my creative juices flowing. Love your blog!

Wanda said...

oh my gosh!!!! Definitely my style!!! Isn't tye-dye still popular? ha ha I still wear mine!