Saturday, August 22, 2009

Another WIP

The flannel quilt at the top left is my inspiration........
for the flannel quilt that has been waiting for about 10 years to finished. How can I remember how many years ago that I started it? I was still working at the quilt shop and I quit that job in Aug. 2000.
I like most of Country Threads quilts and have a pile of their books. Below is what I had already made. I think the reason I didn't finish it is that I was too lazy to make the 6th star block that I needed and I just stuck in a plain block. A friend was nagging me to take it out and make the star about 8 years ago. I have decided now that I really like it like it is.
I even had the strips sets all sewn to make the last few blocks I needed. I used a lot of red where the one in the book has rust. Now I just have the final border to add and it can be quilted. When I was eating lunch there were a lot of birds chirping in the backyard. I looked out and the sparrows were here, fighting over the feeders. My dad says sparrows always hang together in a flock so that when the sparrow hawk comes he is confused which one to go after. I haven't chosen a project yet for today. I may need to call this cleaning day. The 9 patch quilt and this flannel quilt have spread an amazing amount of threads in the sewing area in the basement. I'll find time for something fun though.
*****************
My dad saw the cardiologist yesterday and now we will go to the hospital for an heart ultrasound and a chemical stress test next week. The cardiologist is a very nice man, very concerned.

15 comments:

Beena said...

This quilt looks so cozy! And I like it without that one star in there, too. A lot more character! Glad you decided to finish this one.
I hope you really don't designate one of your project days as a cleaning day...

Meggie said...

I love this idea. Please keep the block as a maverick.
I have so much of you posts to catch up. Health crises among family have made me lax.XX

Vicki W said...

That was sure resolved quickly!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

you were so close to finishing that quilt so long ago I'm amazed you didn't finish it at that time - you always have so many projects that you show completed! I like it, it will be nice and cozy in the cool weather.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

QuiltSue said...

That flannel quilt is lovely. It looks all soft and snuggly.

Anonymous said...

Your photo looks like flannel, even if you had not told us. Love the design and colors. Your quilts are always timeless.

What a great photo of the sparrow's meeting for lunch at your feeder. Love the coneheads in the background.

J~MT

Quilter Kathy said...

i really like your new UFO. I particularly like the blue & red blocks you have sprinkled around!

SueR said...

That'll make a nice cozy lap quilt for this winter. Are ya ready for winter yet? I am!

Cathi said...

That looks very warm and cozy -- and I love the idea of the missing star. Adds character and personalizes it! :-)

Susan said...

"Too lazy to make the last star block" -- you're MY kind of quilter! Though I sure wouldn't call you lazy; just today my daughter-in-law commented on how amazing you are.

Good quote from a forgotten source: "Never keep your house so clean that people think you haven't got anything else to do."

Glad your dad's getting good medical attention.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Heart tests are the same ones I had a year ago ~ anxiety ahead of time is worse than the tests themselves (although the waiting for results is pretty annoying). Good to hear the doc is a "good guy"

LOVE the flannel quilt ...

Didn't know that about sparrows - makes good sense!

Leslie said...

The flannel quilt will be done and ready for the first frosty night. Perfect. Soon no one, including you will remember when it was started or how long it took. Fun!

Jean said...

I love flannel quilts, so cozy and warm looking. I'm glad you are getting this one finished.

Sharon said...

I love this quilt! I love most of Country Threads' designs. I'm glad you decided to finish this one, and I love your maverick block in there! It makes your quilt yours!

Diane said...

What a handsome quilt! I'm trying to think of which friend thought you should change it!