Saturday, August 15, 2009

Late summer nature

Border accomplished........................
Now Fridays can be devoted to a different project since both Strips 'n Curves are ready for quilting. I have a flannel quilt that only has a little bit to do to be finished and it has been waiting for around 10 years too. Maybe that will be the Friday quilt next week.

This quilt has a lot of gold on it so the reflections don't show the real beauty of the fabric combinations. It ended up 49" x 58", a good size to throw over the couch.
Most of the hosta flowers are not that exciting but this is one of my favorites.
This plant has skinnier pointed leaves and most people that I tried to share it with didn't want any of it. What they didn't realize is that it has one of the most interesting blooms.
Here is a close up of 2 of them................
and a more head on view of one. I'll take more pictures when they open up.
I had a plant called Baby Goldenrod which was small for the first 4 years. This year it is over 5 feet tall like the regular variety. I am going to go out and cut it all down when the flowers start dying off so it doesn't spread seed everywhere. Lunch with sisters-in-law was fun yesterday. I have some leftovers for lunch today. I won't want to be cooking because it is going to be hotter and more humid all weekend. Next week though they are promising cooler weather again, my kind of weather.
****************
Dad's cardiac evaluation is next Friday to see if he is a candidate for hernia surgery so I should have a few days to relax now.

14 comments:

Gina said...

Love the Hosta pics. My Hostas look more like lace napkins now the slugs have had their fun

Love and hugs Gina xxx

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

I absolutely love Strips and Curves - the border is an awesome finish!
Great flower photos too.

Unknown said...

Your Christmas strips and curves came out beautiful! Your hostas look wonderful. Mine are going to town too. I really like them. I just posted some garden pictures as well. I think that all the rain has helped the flowers to be quite prolific this year.

QuiltSue said...

I LOVE the curves quilt. Thanks for showing it to us.

Betsy said...

Wanda the quilt is beautiful and your plants must be the envy of the neighborhood.

Beena said...

Your Strips N' Curves Christmas quilt looks great! I can picture the gold in the fabrics really lighting it up in person. And now you have another project you can work on for that Fridays.
The hostas are pretty. And I like the way its leaves look, as well as the blooms.
The heat has been brutal here. And the night before last the ac went out and my apartment manager is being a dead beat about calling the repair guy. Grrrr. I wonder when I'll see cooler air again...

Vicky F said...

Hi Wanda,
Strips and curves (Christmas version) turned out great. So much complexity!
Love the garden photos. You could put some of your plant photos together and call it "alien garden". The pre-bloom shots appear otherworldly.
Vicky F

Quiltdivajulie said...

Congrats on the beautiful finish!

Prayers for the cardiac eval - for your dad, for you, and for the caregivers who will interact with ya'll.

Our hosta flowers are less than exciting, too ~ but they add a softness and light to the garden that we appreciate.

I could see you self publishing a book that incorporates your floral photography and your quilts ... with or without words, the photos would be such eye candy.

Kay Koeper Sorensen said...

The border is PERFECT. It really sets off the quilt and the whole thing is wonderful.

Rebel said...

Gorgeous christmas quilt!

And I think you're the one who turned me onto hostas for my shady little garden back in Portland. They're often underappreciated. Yours are lovely!

Cheryl Arkison said...

Love that strips and curves! Did I tell you that I finally bought the book. Add it to the list of things to do.

Wanda said...

I don't think I knew that plant even had flowers! It is really pretty. The border choice is wondeful...and the piece really looks like a piece that should have the gold! I can imagine how beautiful the colors are in person.

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed looking at all the new blogs and getting that inspiration from all the quilts that were shown.
___________________
Melvin
Get easy cash at your door step

SueR said...

I am crazy about the Christmas strips and curves quilt, and I do love the border. I finally got my book and rulers in the mail but not ready just yet to start any more new projects. Maybe this winter. I also do love the garden tours!