I'm so happy to have this quilt finished because I love it. I have always loved floral fabrics and this group, mostly from the 1990s and early 2000s are favorites.
The blocks were finished a year and a half ago so cutting the border pieces was my most recent sewing on it. It is 66" x 78".
I didn't know if I had anything in my stash from that era for the back but found this green leafy print that goes so well with it. I love my stash! This quilt has Hobbs 80/20 batting in it and it was longarm quilted by Robin Diaz.
There are a few one way prints in the centers of the stars so I have them all going the same direction.
The binding is the same fabric as the back of the quilt. Since most of the prints have green in them, I thought it would be the best choice.
Yesterday afternoon I looked through my backing fabrics for something that will work for the Snail's Trail quilt. This print is spider mums but doesn't jump out as flowers.
This one is a Brandon Mably design and I have 6 yards of it.
You might have to click on the photo and enlarge this one to see there are tools in the print.
Any thoughts on the backing?







18 comments:
The tools are my favorite backing. I love your star blocks! I'm using my florals to make 10" hexies. I thought it would look like a giant flower garden.
I like the spider mums but with the white background it seems too light compared to the front so the tools are my pick. I can see why your floral stars is a favorite…so many lovely floral fabrics! Who wouldn’t love your stash, lol!
tools or mums....dots not so much
I loved the star quilt the moment I saw it on Instagram prior to this post going live. The dots don't grab me, but I really like the tools.
I love Brandon's dots, but I would need to see the quilt top and backing spread out together before going with that bold choice. The tools absolutely work but the mums seem a bit tame given the dynamic blocks in the top. Your floral star quilt is absolutely wonderful and I'm guessing it inspire you to dig into those boxes of floral parts you mentioned the other day.
I love the lightness of the spider mums. That would be my first choice and tools as second.
I'm on Team Tools, which interests me because if I was just picking fabrics I like without thinking of the whole quilt that would be my last choice.
Ceci
I like all three for backing. Which fabric will be harder for you to use somewhere else?? That’s how I would make the decision! I bet your stash is to die for!! Love the floral stars….inspiring me to start one, Smile.
I love the star and that background you chose for those blocks really is great looking to me. On the brown/gold I like the last one. I think I have the first one you show but in a different color
Wanda, your stars quilt is stupendous. I too, love those florals...takes one into the garden. I think the tools backing is great. That would be my choice.
What a refreshing Sunday post Wanda ~ I too can see why this floral star quilt is one of your favorites, it is stunningly beautiful. The beauty of summer florals and backing and binding couldn’t be any better.
I’m the ‘odd duck out’ I like the spider mum fabric the best for snails trail.
I love your floral quilt! It's so interesting that you can have so many different fabrics in one quilt yet they all work together. As for the backing on the snail's trail, my pick is the first one. The quilt is rather dark and I think the lighter yellow print would go great on the back.
I'm sure you've already made a decision on the backing for the Snail Trails, but I like the spider mum fabric the most. Your floral stars quilt is tempting me, but I have to concentrate on finishing some others before I let the squirrels take over.
Pat
The new quilt is so pretty! I think any of those backing choices will work for your Snail's Trail.
Your floral stars are lovely. There's quite a collection of fabrics in this one, and some of those "lights" simply shine.
The star quilt turned out so beautiful! For the backing of the snail quilt, I really like the Brandon dot print because it is just crazy!
The floral stars quilt is drop dead gorgeous! I’ve been collecting old floral prints to use in a quilt for myself someday. On the snails trail, I like the mums fabric the best. Hope you’re staying cool!
Congratulations on finishing your beautiful floral stars quilt, Wanda! I recognize some of those gorgeous prints. Yes, it's a wonderful thing to have a nice assortment of your favorite fabrics waiting for you in your sewing room, no trip to the fabric store required. I'm enjoying your lovely 9-patches, too -- reading backwards through your recent blog posts to get caught up.
Post a Comment