I decided to make a collage of the before and after instead of linking back to the earlier post. Top photo is from a week ago Tuesday. I didn't like the Studio dies so close to the window (in case of leaks). Bottom photo shows we put the stacked units up on their sides Tuesday this week. We were able to bring the one remaining rack of Studio dies from the bookcase to the workbench. The last rack on the right doesn't have any dies in the section nearest the window. The blue plastic unit is still going to be removed and I want to keep that end of the bench empty so I have a place to sort fabric.
Then we proceeded to fabric sorting. I had 2 big blanket size bins full of brown/rust/beige prints (no batik). I knew I wanted to pull fabrics for another Snail's Trail quilt so I had 3 groups, ones that I wanted to keep, ones that will be sold, and this group for the quilt. The keep group fits in one box now. After I cut off the 11-1/8" strip from each of these fabrics there were be a few remainders that will also fit into that box. Next we sorted the same size bin of 90s wild prints and the keep pile fits in 2/3 of the box. I will condense my floral fabrics from 2 of that same size bin down to one full one and the remainder will fit in with the 90s wild prints. That is 2 big blanket size bins eliminated and the 3 remaining will fit under the pool table/cutting table. My helper is coming back in 2 weeks and we will continue on the organization.
Meanwhile I'm melting in this heat and didn't get as much done yesterday as I would like. I've done a lot standing on the cement floor in the basement this week so I may need a day to relax and just sort scraps. I have a huge pile of Kaffe scraps, mostly strips, so that will be the first I work on.


11 comments:
Jobs like that are more fun with a helper, especially when they can lift heavy things. Looks like your dies are more accessible now and your table looks impressively organized!
It's so great you have a helper for this re-organization project, Wanda;)))
It should be fun going through those KF strips for future projects...;))
At8:30 am it is already 84 degrees with 76 dewpoint and feels like 93=="whoo-eeey"!!! talk about the 3 H's!! It'll be inside for we ancient ones these days for sure...
hugs, Julierose
Cleaning and organizing is hard work especially in the heat. You have earned time off. Take a day and relax
Bench looks so immaculate… Good job done and with a helper… I so need a helper just for my weekly house cleaning, but just can’t seem to let that happen yet .
I think we could all use a helper from time to time! Sorting and organizing is hard work. Your bench looks great and it will be so much quicker to find what you need.
It's 85 here, dew point of 75, and feels like 92. The grocery store was packed at 8am with so many of us trying to get in and out before it gets any more intense outdoors. Your organized bench looks SO much easier to use and visually pleasing - great work! And hooray for culling the bin contents - As I touch each resource box or stack of fabric, I'm culling as I go to remove the things I know I won't use (since I've ignored them for months and years). A day to rest sounds grand - enjoy it!
sometimes we need a day of sitting after doing a lot of organizing
Well done in all you've accomplished and hope you've got books to read, music to enjoy, and perhaps a well earned nap as you rest.
Love those rust and other fabrics you've pulled for the coming Snail's Trail quilt!
Hugs!
A cool basement is a great place to be in this heat. (Growing up our family room was in the basement and we spent a lot of time downstairs on hot summer days.) Your workbench photos were a "find five differences" kind of exercise.
The bench looks great, good that you got the Studio dies away from in racks and off the bench away from the window. I wonder if that empty rack could be stacked on the others and nylon tie-wraps used to hold them together? It might be a bit more accessible?
Rains have been going just north of us again. We just had a power outage of a few seconds this morning, rain for about 30 seconds, I'm not holding my breath that we'll get much out of it, just enough to make it even more humid outside. I don't know what got into me, I've spent the last couple of days cutting Christmas fabrics into 2.5" strips for 16 patches, and 9.5" strips for half-retangle blocks. I will ill be SO happy to get many of those out of the stash!
Wow, the bench organization looks great! At least it's cool in the basement.
Post a Comment