Wednesday, January 18, 2023

How did I make my decision...........


I knew I wanted the Kaffe #150 Strata as the sashing on my Ohio Star quilt so I tried all of the colors that I had.





I had a strip of the blue stripe in my studio because it was left over from a binding a while back.  I thought it was going to work but it was too dark.










Next I tried the red thinking it would look good but too many of the blocks had red corner squares so the red stripe blended in to them too much.












I have used the light stripe as a border on another quilt and I thought it might keep the quilt neutral but I thought it looked a little anemic and also blended into the light backgrounds.










The gold one might have worked but there are a lot of blocks that had yellow or gold corner squares.













That left the green stripe which contrasts nicely with all of the blocks.  

Also in this photo on the left is a candidate for a border on this quilt.  The blocks aren't the star of this quilt, the whole composition is more important.

7 comments:

Carolyn said...

I think the sashing you chose looks great with your blocks.

patty a. said...

My goodness you had options! What a fabulous collection of that striped fabric!

Julierose said...

I think you made the best choice with the green stripe; lots of nice KF striped fabrics in your collection.
40 degrees here and weak sunshine--will take advantage and go for a short walk...hugs, Julierose

Libby in TN said...

I think along the same lines. I like for my fabrics to "sing the same song." That doesn't mean they all come from a single collection, but they share something in common. It could be color, motif, or mood.

JJM said...

Fun, informative post today Wanda. Plus adding your border … all I can say is SENSATIONAL !!!!

JJM

Agile Jack said...

You definitely made the right choice on the sashing. And I've envious of the summer color way of the strata. I don't think I've ever seen it in a store. the colors in it are so pretty, but the green is definitely right for this quilt.

Anne

Mystic Quilter said...

I'm late with my response but definitely you made a great choice going with the green strata - the line up of your colorways in the Strata design look beautiful together.