Thursday, February 14, 2019

#2 finish for February 2019...........

I think it is only fitting to have a finished red quilt on Valentine's Day.




I have to admit that I wasn't feeling the love for this quilt in its unfinished state.  Crazy piecing is always so unfinished looking with all of the seams that come to the edges of the blocks and bias edges included.
Once the binding is on the quilt it is so nice and straight and elegant looking.  It really needed that nice dark binding to finish it off.  It ended up at 55" x 79".



This is my view as I'm approaching to do the photography for the blog.








The other red (and white) quilt is under the needle.  I'm going to take my time on the quilting so my shoulder doesn't complain so much.





We had beautiful blue skies and sunshine yesterday but it was cold.  The ice was shining like a million diamonds on the branches.  Today is supposed to be in the mid 40s so I hope the ice on my driveway disappears.

14 comments:

Karen H said...

The red crazy piecing makes a beautiful quilt! I hope the ice melts, too. We haven't had so much ice this year, just lots of snow. I guess that's better than ice.

patty a. said...

The red crazy quilt turned out wonderful! Let's hope your ice is gone with the warmer temps today. Here it is predicted to get up to 46 today.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love your quilt! it turned out beautifully and love that backing and binding. Hope you ice melts!

Hedy said...

Beautiful red crazy quilt. Going to be 71 degrees here in New Orleans, so glad we’ve escaped the snow and ice.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Happy Valentine's Day! Love the red quilt. Thanks for sharing. The sun at least came out this morning even though lots of snow and ice around.

JJM said...

Perfect Valentine post Wanda, one finished and the other headed toward the finish line. I so agree with you on the bindings, they are always like the "frosting on the cake" . . . Great photo of your glistening tree. The beauty Mother Nature gives us always makes me smile.


JJM

Kat said...

The red crazy pieced quilt is gorgeous and rich! Beautiful and I agree, the darker binding is the perfect finish!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Happy Valentine's Day! This is a gorgeous quilt! I think that is the issue I have with improv and free pieced quilt - it isn't until the binding is on that you see the diamonds that they are.

Vicki W said...

The quilt turned out great! I love it!

Marty said...

It’s absolutely gorgeous. In some ways it reminds me of an oriental rug with the border piecing on just two sides. Just stunning.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats! on your finish. I absolutely LOVE this quilt (and I'm not even a "red person"!!)

Cathi said...

I love that red quit!! It is absolutely stunning and the choice of the dark binding was perfect!
Happy Valentine's Day!

Quiltdivajulie said...

You've finished another beauty -- powerful, elegant, but not too overly serious with the liberated piecing. Maybe someday I'll have enough red scraps to make something akin to this ...

clairice said...

HI Wanda, i used to live close to you in Oswego, I moved to warm arizona last year. i do not miss the cold, but miss my people there. one question, what color thread did you use for finishing? I am working on finishing a red Kaffe quilt but can't decide if I want to use red or another color.