Saturday, September 15, 2018

Yard work, lots of it..........

Yesterday morning I decided to start chopping down the peonies that are turning brown.   I have over 30 bushes so that took awhile with many trips to the weed pile to deposit them.  Later in the afternoon I mowed the front yard. 


I'm still getting tomatoes.  The earliest ones were the 4th of July and Early Girl types.  The 4th of July is about golf ball sized most of the time with only a few larger tomatoes.  The Early Girl and Rutgers are producing a nice medium to large size tomato, just right for slicing for BLTs.  

I drew up this handout for a class many years ago to show how the same block looks so different when you switch the dark value to many different positions.  I made one quilt from this block in 1990 and I'm thinking about using it again.  The magazine that I saw it in called it Memory but I know I have seen it with other names in other books and magazines.

7 comments:

Mary said...

It’s remarkable how color placement changes the look of a block.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Aren't quilt block patterns wonderful? The constraints of a pattern give value and color placement a stage to perform.

Kristin said...

The ones in the middle look like Ohio Star.

Danice G said...

I love fresh tomatoes. The quilt block looks simple yet nice. Will be looking to see what you create with it.

JJM said...

It's that time of year to get our gardens ready for winter. I have 19 concrete life sized critters sprinkled here and there in our yard and sealed them from the winter snows. Hope to get into my gardens today and get them taken care of too.

Wanda , I loved seeing all you designed from just one pattern. And I'm going to copy the block and grab my colored pencils and play. That's my kind of quilting. (*._.*) Coloring books for us old gals is on its way out now, but fun when a boring t.v. program is on.

JJM

Quiltdivajulie said...

SUPER diagram -- one of the best I've seen for illustrating the differences. Thank you!

Nann said...

I used that block (the pattern I used was called One Union Square) back in 1999 in a quilt I made for my mother in her favorite colorway of peach and blue. The quilt was sold in the estate sale (2002) but I have have one block. It's in the orphan blocks box and I come across it when I periodically survey the contents of that box.