Monday, June 23, 2014

Sewn..........

It took me until 11 p.m. last night to get this 6" block Northwind top sewn together and I'm happy I stuck with it.  You might notice it is flipped end for end from what I have shown up to this point.  I consulted my art expert and she thought this was the winning orientation.  Below I have yesterday's photo, also flipped so you can see where I made changes yesterday.  I replaced one block and repositioned a few others. 
 I thought the red ended too abruptly (bottom edge) in yesterday's version.  I also didn't like the pink/lavender block on the left.  The gold (top center) was too lopsided so that got changed a little.


These are the blocks that got pulled out in the last 2 days.




 Here are the triangles that were cut and didn't get used.  

I will add this post to the HSTeria quilt along link (right side bar) on Friday.

20 comments:

Beth@IHaveANotion.com said...

For me, any orientation works. I see the orphan box will have some additions or new Mug Rugs waiting... and there will be some additions to the parts box as well (unused triangles). All in all a good day!!!

Vicki W said...

It's so pretty!

Karen H said...

Another beautiful quilt. I really do like both the layouts you show here.

Linda Swanekamp said...

I love both, but I see what you mean about the red ending too abruptly. The color change is so soothing but not wimpy.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

beautiful color as always!

suemac said...

Beautiful per usual. The changes really did make a difference

patty a. said...

The changes you made make the color flow smoothly. Great job! Looks like you have enough triangles and blocks for another small charity quilt.

Ailsa (Cape Pincushion) said...

Its really stunning! I love the final layout, it looks very balanced and yet energetic.

Anonymous said...

It is beautiful! I'd never know which ones to put in and which ones to leave you! hugs~

Lostinspace said...

Really worth all that effort, the final one is wonderful.
Showing the alterations is very instructive and fascinating too. Congragtulations on an amazing job!

Sue said...

This one is beautiful! I love the final orientation so I think your art consult was worth it. :)

Mystic Quilter said...

Beautiful quilt Wanda

Corrine said...

The final blocks are spectacular! It looks wonderful and I think your art friend is right. This is a great orientation

Charlotta said...

I hope you're really happy with this. It's amazing, and definitely worthy of the time you took to fine tune it. Congratulations.

Nann said...

The two photos show that indeed everything works (especially with batiks) but with a little thought they can work even better. Thanks for the mini-lesson!

Also, thank you for showing the outtakes. (I'm sure we'll see them in a future project.)

Vic in NH said...

Thank you for showing the patient process of just how this design evolved. it was fascinating to see it!

sophie said...

It shimmers! It's definitely worth the effort you put into it to get the colors/placement just right. Brava!

Mari said...

Your quilts are always so beautiful. This one just glows. Nice work!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Fabulous!! (I love how you show the almost-finish and the actual-finish so we can see what you tweaked at the last minute).

Chantal said...

Very beautiful indeed. Love the colour play. The pattern almost disappear but not quite. It is very interesting to look at. Great job.