My friends and I had a great time yesterday talking and eating and talking some more. I hadn't seen a couple of them for over a year. They left around 3:30 so by 6 p.m. I was ready to do something on my clean cutting tables. I have had these 12 fabrics chosen for a project for about 4 months, all pressed and ready to cut into.
This is the original pattern I had for this project but Lynne has a tutorial on her blog with different measurements that I like better. I made a small quilt with the original directions a few years ago.
It took about 45 minutes to cut all of the pieces for 24 blocks and 2 hours to sew them to this stage of the project (while watching 2 shows on Comcast's ON DEMAND).
I decided to stack 4 blocks dark/light/dark/light and slice them all at once. I also worked at the corner of a table so I could stand on one side for this first cut and.......
on another side for the second cut. I am putting the 2.25" mark of the ruler on the seamline of the center square and the outside strip.
Then I shuffled the pieces like we do in so many of the stack and slash quilts. This gives me 4 blocks with the same 8 fabrics but the position changes for each color.
After I had 2 sets of them cut and sewn I put the resulting 8 blocks on the wall. There will be a lot more variety as I get the next 4 stacks slashed and sewn. I would be bored to tears working with just 12 fabrics if this wasn't a fast quilt. As it is it will probably be done tomorrow.
As for my friends' opinion on the quilt yesterday, they liked the 9 patch border too so I may add it to that quilt.