Over the last few days I have been piecing the first of the denim/corduroy/homespun quilts. I wanted to see how easy it was to quilt before I make the rest of the quilts. This one is the most multicolor and I used a homespun tiny plaid on the back to keep it light weight. The squares are 8" finished.
I intended to do the wavy lines in both directions, a crosshatch type design, but after going one way I could see the stretchiness of the denim was going to cause puckers if I did that. I also decided that I will pull out the really heavy and stiff denim squares from the other kits and replace them with softer denim. I pressed all of the seams open but the stiff ones rolled back when it was layered and were hard to quilt over. Most of the denim I have cut is soft and/or thin so I won't have to replace too many pieces in the kits. I haven't figured out what to bind it with yet.
I also got the binding on one of the quilts that I quilted on Monday. I think I made this top around 1992-95 time period. There are 2 logs on one side to every one on the other side in the blocks to create the rounded effect. While I have dark blue thread on the machine I'll do the binding on the seaside theme quilt today.
I have another color cactus blooming. This one is a more true red than the others. All of my plants have buds now so I should have blooms all the way through the month.