Monday, July 27, 2026

Hot and steamy.....................


We went from 3 days of pleasant weather to tropical humidity and 88 degrees yesterday.  My energy level was low so I decided to start sewing 9 patches out of the 1.5" squares.  There are 20 nine patches and it doesn't look like I have used any squares yet.


I didn't want to turn on the iron so the little blocks are curling.  I started out with all of the fabrics that had at least 5 dark squares and 4 light squares alike.  Now I'll be switching to random groups to make more blocks.





There are lots of fabrics with black backgrounds and not as many with a definable color so I might have to cut a few to spice up the remaining stash of squares. 

Today is supposed to be even hotter and more humid so I'm sure I'll be inside most of the day.  I hope I can get the borders cut for the William Morris Trip Around the World top.

11 comments:

Helenchaffin said...

The weather here has went to unbearable here too & when the temps drops it pours down rain, tiny blocks can be tedious but cute,I started some a year sgo & still have over 200 to go 😄

Cherie Moore said...

Ugh, the hot weather moved in here yesterday. I love your turn of phrase, spice up the remaining stash of squares.

Mary said...

That weather sounds miserable. No wonder your energy is low. It's hot here too, but that is normal for us.

patty a. said...

Lots of cute blocks! I just spied another vintage looking quilt when I was watching the "Dutton Ranch" episodes I had recorded. It is a scrappy four patch quilt. I have a box of squares already cut so I'm already ahead! I was out last evening pulling any of the bigger thistle plants including any that were forming seed heads and it was muggy out! I sure have enjoyed the cooler weather. the high

Nann said...

The humidity can be cut with a knife this morning! But maybe we'll get a little rain.... Happy nine-patching to you today.

Elaine Adair said...

104 yesterday in hot, dry western Nebraska.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Extra high humidity here, too. Heat index made it 101 yesterday and today is supposed to be hotter and stickier. DH just finished cutting the grass (it is 8:10 am) and despite the slight breeze the heat index is already well into the low 90s. GREAT day to stay indoors with A/C. Love those little nine patches!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

here too - just as hot as yesterday or hotter. I have most of the window blinds down to keep the sun out. I heard first thing this morning that the utility companies are asking people to lower their consumer use today and tomorrow to prevent rolling blackouts. So many states are in extreme heat today. I will walk to the mail box later and that will probably be the only time I am out until later this evening. I got all the plants watered last night outside.

JJM said...

Even in this humid heat you are able to create and sew…. Even in the mountains it’s hit 100 ~ 103 here in the mountains. Plus the wicked smoke from all the forest fires here in the Pacific N.W. With a high particulate of 153 this morning.

Julierose said...

Great little 9-patch blocks in progress, Wanda;))) Love those florals!!
I put away my 9 ""Littles" that need binding for the Fall/Winter..
.I am back to mindless Neutral Ojos sewing--still have a slew of white/creams to use up...
A bit more humid here today--74 degrees with 89% humidity...Bed sheet changing and washing day for us...
hugs, Julierose

Warm Quilts said...

What wonderful 9-patch blocks - so tiny! Heat wave is moving in later this week. I cannot imagine it so hot that I wouldn't turn on my iron . . . but we don't have the humidity. Please keep hydrated!