Thursday, October 7, 2021

Third time is a charm..............


On my third try I found the perfect brown for the claws on this Bear Paw block.  The other 2 choices just weren't quite right.







The first two blocks are sewn.....






...and I started working on a layout of a third block.









First finish for October.

I'm having a hard time getting a straight on shot of this Floral Colorwash #7.  This was the best one.








For my own record I'm trying to keep track of the backing fabrics that I have used.  This quilt is about 30" square.








While the design wall was empty and the auxiliary lights were still set up I took some photos of this Floral Colorwash Trip Around the World quilt.  It won a best of show ribbon at our county fair but I can't remember for sure which year.

All photos will enlarge when you click on them.








I made a machine embroidery label for it which says it was made in 1999 so I think it was either that year or the next that I entered it in the fair.

(I can't believe I made it 22 years ago.)





Here are some closer views of the fabrics.  This one shows the all of the fabrics.













There are some bunnies.












Some fairies and sweet peas.










Bugs on a green background.  When you find the perfect color and value you really can't be fussy about what is in the print.









This one shows the basket weave print that was used for the first border.  This quilt is about 67" x 96".  I'm going to wash it for the first time so it will be a little smaller after a trip through the washer and dryer.

11 comments:

patty a. said...

You are on a roll! I am glad you found the perfect brown. The colorwash quilt is so pretty. That TAW quilt sure did deserve a ribbon! FYI- I received the seeds. Thanks so much!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

such a beautiful quilt I can see why it won the ribbon - the color selections are so good

mb-RI said...

Your quilts are stunning. The colorwash from 1999 is very beautiful. When you zoom in, the fabrics are gorgeous. I love the bunny fabric. Do you still embroider your labels?

Julierose said...

Amazing how different the Bear's Paws blocks can appear..very pretty!!
Love all the little bunnies, fairies, etc in your colorwash piece...
hugs, Julierose

Quiltdivajulie said...

Your Bear Paws are stunning - rich and vibrant and warm. Well-deserved ribbon on that floral color wash TAW - and your phrase "When you find the perfect color and value you really can't be fussy about what is in the print" is one I need to put on my inspiration board! (p.s. I like the striped binding on the color wash - and it's purple undertone)

Sue said...

I LOVE the colors in this bear paw quilt block! I think they are spectacular!. Wish this one was mine. :)

JJM said...

What GREAT POST today Wanda ! Your first bear claw block is absolutely stunning ! ! ! Those fabrics are breath taking it’s already the star of the quilt for me.

As I mentioned yesterday your floral Color washes are always my favorites. Just lovely !

TAW ! ! ! What a grand creation ! Including all your unique prints to add to its beauty that indeed makes this a winner ! I truly give it a PURPLE RIBBON ~ BEST OF SHOW myself ALSO. And thank you for showing us the bunnies, bugs, and fairies. Truly a wonderful creation.

JJM

Camille said...

Back on Feb 28 you finished a quilt top with “daisy” blocks. I admired your quilt then and was reminded of it when I saw the block in another quilt this week. Is there a pattern for the “daisy” block or did you draft it yourself?

sewyouquilt2 said...

Love love love your bear paws.so pretty

Mystic Quilter said...

I don't use much brown in my quilts but I love the warmness of your Bear Paw blocks, a favourite block of mine. Another beautiful colorwash
using florals. I have missed post reading over the past 2/3 weeks so catching up in one comment here, I see you have succumbed to temptation with the latest KFC fabrics - I have too and hope mine arrive next week. I see you have some Caladiums and Climbing Geraniums in your collection, I have both these ordered and the huge Van Gogh is a beauty.

MissPat said...

That first bear paw is perfect. I love the fabric for the center squares. And that floral TAW is amazing. I once bought a fat quarter of jungle green foliage and was dismayed to find monkey faces in it when I opened it up. I don't think I've used it anywhere.
Pat