Saturday, October 23, 2021

Off track again.............


I wasn't inspired to work on any of my current projects so I did a trial run on a free Moda pattern called Simply Woven Quilt.  A Left- Handed Quilter just finished a quilt top with this pattern using a jelly roll.  I have hundreds of 2.5" strips already cut so I just chose a group of blue, green, purple and rose and a light background print to try it out.  I can see I need a lot more light prints just a little darker than the background fabric to make this work.  My assortment is all too much alike in value.  This is similar to another quilt top I made a few months ago but this one has more strips per block creating the plaid and the block is 12.5".

Now I'll get back to work on my other projects so I can have some finished tops to report for this month.  I need to make a final decision on the layout of the Coneflower 16 patch blocks.

I mowed the front and side yard yesterday afternoon.  The temperature was in the high 50s so it was very comfortable.  Last night we had a chance of frost so I covered all of the tomato plants.  It is supposed to be in the 40s at night for the coming week.

 

8 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

I made one test block and decided to stop at that point. Love the colors in your strips.

Julierose said...

Off-track is where I usually reside hahaha..This will look fantastic--neat colors, Wanda. You certainly have the "color" eye. hugs, Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

sometimes you have to work on a different project! or just skip it all and be outside instead - I have been doing that more and more lately

sue s said...

I also worked on a pattern very similar to this and had to give it up. I just couldn't keep the everything turned in the right direction! Your looks promising and I, too, think it will be good with some lighter fabrics.

Linda Swanekamp said...

I made a similar one called Basket Case a couple of years ago and I found that the strips need a lot of contrast or they don't flow. Don't have enough of those kind of strips to give it a go.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Thanks for the shout-out! I'm looking forward to seeing your finished top - ;))

Mystic Quilter said...

I think you're amazing to be still busy mowing your yards - good for you! I'm looking forward to seeing your Coneflower layout, I love those colours. I always find it amazing that many of us have a few projects we love on the go but suddenly veer of direction and up springs another idea!

Vicki W said...

You are mowing yourself and I'm panicking because my lawn guy is thinking about retiring! Scooter has been mowing out 10 acres for 20 years and I'm totally stressed. I like these blocks. I've got that pattern on my idea board.