Sunday, January 3, 2021

The first weekend of January........

I am glad the year started with a holiday and then a weekend.  It gives me time to relax and reorganize my thoughts.  I am starting this year with more unquilted tops (34) than I had last year (31) but that isn't much of a gain.  I hope to quilt 4 of the tops this month.

Here is my first test block that I die cut to test the accuracy of the die.  It will go in the batik orphan block box.  It is Crossed Canoes and a block I have always liked.


 The box of 2.5" Kaffe collective strips was calling my name yesterday.   I used about a third of the strips for my cool color 16 patch last month.  I was curious if there were enough to make a warm color 16 patch (my TV time sewing).


The largest portion of strips in the box were cut about 10 years ago and there were duplicates of a lot of them.  I pulled just one of each of the yellow, orange and red strips.



This is the initial pairing of strips which is subject to change as I start working on it.  This will only make 46 blocks so I'll need to cut some more strips from newer fabrics.




Real winter has finally arrived in northern IL.  I think there is about 4" of snow on the ground which includes an inch that fell Friday night.  They have changed the forecast and no 40 degree days are in it now, all 30s this week.


The snow piled up on all of the branches.  It is pretty but I'll stay inside and enjoy it from the kitchen window.
The red waxed Amaryllis has 6 buds.  I didn't see the 2 small ones until midday yesterday. One is tiny so I don't know if it will bloom or not.  The 2 that are open now will be ready to break off by the time the smallest ones are blooming.







The other Amaryllis is growing very slowly but I'm sure it will speed up soon.

9 comments:

Julierose said...

Lovely snowy pictures--it is so pretty adorning the branches--like a frosting!! ;)))
Your amaryllis is really a pretty red...
It will be interesting to see what color the new sprout turns out to be..
You have so many pre-cut strips to work with...nice.
Hugs on a cold morning Julierose

Libby in TN said...

I've never had an amaryllis and am intrigued by the waxed one. Do they only bloom this time of year?

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

out of the 5 amaryllis bulbs that I had put in the garden for the summer and brought inside sometime in October one two are growing right now - the smallest one started first and I do not expect a bulb from it - it has a leave and what looks like a bud but it so flat that it doesn't look like it will mature. One other finally is showing signs of growth the others the bulbs are looking green in areas so I think they are just slow
You have a lot of quilt tops to quilt don't you - it is more fun making the tops though isn't it.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Next year I need to get myself an amaryllis. Maureen has a white one, you have yours, Lynne has red . . . I want to try to see how one might do here. Pretty snow - easy to say when we are here with bare ground and dry dull khaki grass.

Vicki W said...

A warm palette quilt will be the perfect thing to work on in January.

Needled Mom said...

Those Kaffe strips will make a nice warm colors finish. The waxed amaryllis did well. I’m fascinated with the waxing of the bulbs. I don’t suppose there is a way to remove the wax to salvage the bulb after its bloom.

patty a. said...

The yellow and orange/red strips are going to make a beautiful, fun quilt! Great color combinations! The amaryllis is so pretty. I hope it lasts a long time for you to enjoy. We have had nothing but rain. There must have been something in the forecast on Friday because the city was out spreading salt. It just poured rain so all the salt got washed away. Last week my neighbor got a new snow blower so maybe we won't get any more snow so he doesn't get a chance to try it out! LOL!!

JJM said...

Great Sunday post Wanda. I really like your crossed canoes block and your collection of Kaffe prints all cut and ready to go. Amaryllis with 6 blossoms, is that normal ? And here I live in the mountains and no snow on the ground. There's way more on the mountain tops but we really need more there.

JJM

Lesley Gilbert said...

I just watched a video on YT making 'crossed canoes' - did you paper piece yours? Those kaffe strips look very inviting; lovely warm colours :)