Monday, December 21, 2020

Food.............

I made two batches of Chex Mix yesterday.  I like the original recipe but I change the type of pretzels to whatever is available each year.  I also use a whole stick of butter instead of 3/4 of a stick.  These are butter flavored pretzels which goes right along with the flavor of Chex Mix.


I decided to bake one batch of Spritz last night.  I realized I only have green sugar to sprinkle on them so I decided to make pink cookies.  I will make chocolate spritz today.







My red cactus is still blooming.  I have 2 pale pink buds ready to pop open on another cactus.

Here we are at the day of the least daylight in the year.  I'm looking forward to the brightening of each day going forward.
 

7 comments:

Julierose said...

Oh yes these dark, gloomy, shorter days have taken their toll
this year for sure. Nice to know that there are lighter times coming.
Your Spritz look so pretty with the green sprinkles on them.
I think today will be fudge making day for me here...hugs from the frozen North
Julierose

Needled Mom said...

This is my favorite day because in my mind I know things are only going to get better with the light. Your cookies look delicious.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Once the holidays are behind us, I will make Chex mix (GF variety) - it is one of my January "traditions" (timing leftover from the usual glut of too much food in December when we were both working and people exchanged so many food gifts).

Ann said...

I had a great spritz cookie press but it was lost after a move. The new one doesn't work nearly as well. I need to scour some garage sales for one like my original. Thanks for the reminder.
Merry Christmas. Stay safe.

Linda Swanekamp said...

You are making me hungry. I am so glad it will be getting lighter from today on. Most of the Christmas cactus are done, so sad. Wish there was one for Friday. I did not get to Trader Joe's this year for their selection as you have to stand outside because they are only let in a set number, not standing outdoors to buy a plant.

Anne said...

My mom always made spritz cookies and Checks mix. Both of these things make me think of Christmas!

I just love Checks mix!!!

Anne

patty a. said...

The Chex mix looks yummy and those spritz cookies bring back memories for me. I remember my Mom making hundreds of those to give to people my Dad worked with, friends and neighbors. I remember as a kid cutting the maraschino cherries into tiny pieces for decoration. Mom would have the cookies cooling on the big maple dining room table; hundreds of cookies! I don't know how she had the energy to do all that work. There were at least 5 or 6 of us kids and she worked a graveyard shift at the hospital as a nurse. I must have been about 9 years old.