Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Sorting fabric..........

This is harder than I thought.  I spread out the Australian fabrics and the assortment was a little overwhelming.  This is about 2/3 of them.





One of the quilts I want to cut is Hunter Star.  There will be 2 fabrics per block and they need to contrast.






I finally made the decision to work with the red/burgundy/black prints contrasted with the lightest fabrics.  After I get some blocks made I'll be able to decide what else to add (or whether I don't need to add anything else).
These two fabrics aren't called Australian on the selvage but they work very nicely with the group.





I started yesterday by going to my granddaughter's house and her sister joined us to do some baking.  I came home and mowed the grass, ate lunch, took a nap, and then went out and dug out a whole section of Lily of the Valley.  In that spot I planted 4 Coralbells, 2 different colors and a Veronica/Speedwell.
Here is a wider view of the area.  It was a beautiful day yesterday, low 80s, low humidity and a nice breeze.  That is all going to change today as we go into the humidity and heat for a couple days.  I had to take advantage of the cooler day to do my digging.

11 comments:

Debbie said...

Wow, that is a wild assortment of prints. I think your narrowing down the color family is a huge help. The new area in the garden looks wonderful. We are still sweltering with 100 degree today.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

nice idea to write on the die the size of fabric that fits it perfect. I can't plant any plants at this time of summer or they die - it has to be in early summer or fall - it just gets too hot - your garden is looking great and the fabrics are for sure a great assortment

Anonymous said...

Wow. Those are delicious!
Frebblebit

Hedy said...

I feel that way about fabrics when I take all my Kaffe fabrics out and lay them on the bed, such a variety ! Your garden sure looks great. It's really hot here and our A/C just went out. Luckily we have an RV we can use until the new A/C and furnace are installed.

Linda Swanekamp said...

The prints are uniquely beautiful. The garden redo looks terrific. I still can't repair my backyard as the contractor for the garage addition isn't going to be here until later in August. Looking at it all dug up is depressing. The front looks very nice at least.

patty a. said...

Australian prints have a lot of busyness to them and it is hard to get that contrast. You sure have a lot of beautiful prints!

Needled Mom said...

I hope you avoided the flooding rains I heard about in the Midwest. I'm looking forward to seeing the Hunter Star blocks.

MissPat said...

I hope you managed to get all the lily of the valley roots removed. It would be apain if they started popping up in the middle of your replacement plants.
Pat

Lesley Gilbert said...

I love Aboriginal art that uses lots of dots and swirls and you have some lovely fabric in that style - so looking forward to seeing your fabric combinations in the Hunters Star :)

Mystic Quilter said...

I like the fabric choices you're going with here and what a brilliant idea marking on the die the fabric size, I shall do this now on my dies!

margaret said...

great choice of fabrics. Shame I could do with some of those Lily of the valley for my garden