Saturday, March 19, 2011

More rectangles, no trimming..........

After teaching for 5 hours and doing 2 loads of laundry when I got home yesterday, I was able to get 6 more rectangles sewn, but I was too tired to be trusted with a rotary cutter so they aren't triangles yet.

One student was working with strip pieced blocks with irregular width strips.  She made several large pieces of strip piecing and then cut squares out of them.  I like her layout.  She had it almost all sewn together by the time she left.



Another student wanted to learn how to do binding on her 4 patch posy quilt. 

I didn't take photos of the other projects.  One lady finished sewing a border on a quilt and got her backing pieced.  Then she started sewing some other blocks into a top.  It was a productive day.

8 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

a busy group - looks like a lot got done.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

HollyM said...

I love strip quilts! and what a good idea to sew the strips and then cut it into squares. It seems like it would be a lot easier than doing all those squares individually. Of course if your pieces are smaller you'd have to.

Unknown said...

It was a productive day!! I know what you mean about being trusted with the rotary cutter after a long day. Better not to risk it...

Pat said...

I started a strip quilt when my friend in Sandwich Pat Redden told me how to make one. What a great way to use of left-overs from other projects. I have a bunch stacked up right now waiting for more so that I can put them together. I can see that you had a busy day yesterday and kuddos to you and your students.

Julia said...

What productive ladies you teach! Of course the teacher is the one who gets the motors running!

Vicky F said...

Hi Wanda,
Your student's strip-pieced quilt blocks look like a Wanda quilt project. You're rubbing off on them!

I can see why you were whipped -- 5 hours of teaching, whew!

Vicky F

Jean said...

The rectangles turned triangles are going to be great! Your student's uneven strips reminds me of stringpiecing. Great layout!

Vivian said...

Wise! -- staying away from the rotary cutter after a busy, tiring day is definitely a smart decision.

Students know good leaders when they see them and follow along. Productive, creative leaders produce productive students.