Friday, March 25, 2011

Leftovers....

I sewed together the trimmings from the rectangles for the diamond quilt.  There are 4 sections, 3 of which are the right width to make into journal covers for the spiral notebooks.


I laid 3 of the groups together on the left and contemplated making them into a background for some raw edge applique.  I couldn't decide whether I want to do that so I walked away.

There are a lot of light fabrics in the Westminster fabrics, but the bright colored ones get everyone's attention.  I buy the light ones though.  There are 2 Brandon Mabley, 4 Philip Jacobs and 1 Martha Negley in there with the Kaffe Fassett fabrics.

I put one black and white print in there too, wild animals.  I made sure the zebra was visible.

I spent a lot of time going through drawers and boxes and found a lot of notions that I will never use.  I need to get everything out of there that I don't use so I have room for the stuff I do use.  I was looking at my "Studios" magazines yesterday so that got me in the mood to organize.

13 comments:

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

I haven't seen that Studios publication - looks like fun! Everyone wants to be organized. Your journal cover starts look like a fun way to use some smaller scraps. I do like the color combos. Cheers! Evelyn

Maria said...

The lighter colours look fab together.
Have not seen the Studios Mag but nice idea on the front cover to keep things organised. My trouble is it never stays like that.

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Your scraps will make great journal covers. I can see the lighter ones used as backing for raw edge applique as you mentioned. Have a wonderful weekend!!

hetty said...

Lovely trimmings! I think I like them more than the quilt they were meant for.

Sheila said...

Love how you put your small pieces into strips. And then you put the strips together. They look great. I didn't think of that. I'm going back to my trash can.

Celia Ciuffo said...

Guau!!!
Qué bello todo!!!

*karendianne. said...

I like how you worked that black and white print in there. How neat is that?!

Needled Mom said...

I love how you waste no fabrics and create such stunning pieces.

Cathi said...

What a treat to work that little black and white piece in! I think it would be fun watching people when they first notice it.

GerryART said...

L♥O♥V♥E these colors.
Hugs

Pat said...

I have been organizing my sewing room and tossing things that I don't think I will ever use again and then a few months down the road I need something that I tossed or gave to GoodWill. Now I keep a bag for the stuff I will get rid of for at least 6 months before it goes out the door. I must start sewing the scraps together but after I am through with the quilt I am designing.

Rebel said...

The beauty of living alone is that I don't need a studio. All my fabric is out in plastic boxes in the living room and my sewing machine is on the dinner table. =P My journal quilts are all up in the hallway and I've got quilts on every couch and chair. ;)

dls said...

Love the combinations of colors in these "trimmings" ..... if you make journal covers out of them, I would love to purchase one made with the group of red trimmings in the 1st photo (second from right - how picky is that?) or the trimmings from the Westminster group.... they are lovely also.

You are smart to ask for help when needed..... I'm not far behind you and wonder about the day we will need to do the same. Take care of yourself, lady, you have tons of people who love reading your blog and seeing your creations!