Monday, September 21, 2026

Layout preview................


I wanted to see how the layout was going to look, so I took one 9 patch block of each fabric combination and previewed them with the 2 alternate fabrics.  I figured out that I need to do 2 columns on each side with the spotted fabric plus one row top and bottom.  Then the floral fabric will fill in all of the center spaces.  I think it will be interesting close up.  I'm not sure about a distance view.



Downstairs I cut the batting for the 16 patch quilt and looked for backings.  From top to bottom they are 

Spider mums

Random dots

Chickens.

Do I want it serious and use the Spider Mums or fun and funky and use Random Dots or Chickens?


While I was down there I cut one more pink Bear Paw and sewed it last night.

Rain report:  from Thursday through Sunday we got 6.6" of rain.  This is the third time this summer we have gone almost a month with an inch or less of rain and then got caught in the ring of fire thunderstorms as the hot dome moved and got from 6" - 8" of rain.

7 comments:

Cherie Moore said...

I say go fun with either the dots or chickens for the 16 patch although the spider mums looks good. I’m not loving the mix of the two fabrics with the 9 patches, at least not in the picture, maybe in person it wins the day.

Julierose said...

I agree with those two funky fabric choice--loving the chickens one especially;)))
I guess you got all the rain--we have showing only .02 from midnight on so far--breezy and cloudy here with a 57 damp temp. Somehow, we've missed all that rainfall in our little seaside area--other parts of our State, even fairly close by got that 6"-7" range...
Hugs, Julierose

patty a. said...

I like the chickens for the back. The color goes good with the front and it is just fun!

JJM said...

9 Patch ~16 Patch ~ Pink Bear Paw ~ such a fun array of photo’s for us today. I too like the idea of a fun backing for your 16 patch AND 9 patch too.

Barbara Anne said...

Looking scrumptious and delightful! I vote for the chickens, too!

Hugs!

Anonymous said...

I like your layout; and vote for the chickens. Laura H.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that is a lot of rain! through that time period. I really like that fabric in the bear paw