Sunday, November 6, 2016

Cleaning up...........

I'm trying to clean up and finish up several things.  I did some more tweaking on this colorwash and I'm ready to sew it together now. The center blends a lot better than it looks like here.  The camera loves to play tricks with value and color.  As soon as I get these squares off the wall I will clean the stray threads off the wall with my lint roller.
I was cleaning up near the Studio die cutter and cut a bunch of 1.5" squares to clean up the small scraps.







Here is the prettiest tree in my yard.  The leaves look like maple but most of the other maple trees around here turned orange and red.  It is a volunteer tree than Mother Nature planted for me and she didn't leave an identifying tag on it.





I still have tomatoes growing.  I picked all of the green ones when we had the light frost 2 nights in a row a few weeks ago.  I wrapped them in newspaper and they have been ripening about 3 a week so far.  Even though they aren't as good as the summer tomatoes, they are better than the ones at the grocery store.

11 comments:

Annemieke said...

It coming together very well isn't it? ! love your garden photos too. I'm very aware of nature all around us. I think I could make pictures all day long.
Groetjes
Annemieke

Anonymous said...

As with everything else, we in the South love fried green tomatoes!

Anonymous said...

Here in Virginia, we do have maple trees that turn the same color yellow as your tree.... In fact, our neighbors across the street used to have a maple tree that looked a lot like your tree....it did have something strange about it, though....every year, the very top of the tree would start to turn yellow one day, the next day it would be totally yellow, and the third day, all the leaves would fall! Every year, exactly the same....I have never seen any other tree do that. We also have those orange and red leafed maples as well....it is really pretty here, now, with all the beautiful colors...I love this time of year!!
Sandra B
scb304@juno.com

Rebecca said...

I am in VA also and have a maple in the yard that is the same color as yours. It too is a volunteer. The one that was near it and we had to cut was a gorgeous red. Miss it! But we don't have much color anywhere around me this year.

Lola Carr said...

Wanda, your tree looks to me definitely like hard maple leaves. They are a variety of colors....the one on our back street was the vibrant yellow like this one. Ours out front never turns this color, just drops the leaves. They're all different!

Nancy J said...

Another wonderful colour wash. And home grown always tastes so much better than store bought.

Linda Swanekamp said...

I am trying to cut up some fabric and find a good way to store the cut pieces. I really want to get to the bottom of the baskets of scrap pieces. The colorwash is terrific.

Needled Mom said...

Your colorwash is beautiful - as is your tree. The autumn colors of nature are so showy and pretty.

We've had to pick our tomatoes this year when they just start to blush to beat the raccoons from getting to them. It has been so frustrating.

Anonymous said...

An old friend of mine used to take her tomato plants out of the ground, roots intact, and hang them over the rafters in her garage. The tomatoes would be vine ripened that way.

Anonymous said...

BTW, we in the North also love fried green tomatoes!

Elizabeth Rose said...

It is spring in Australia so we are just planting our tomatoes! For those green tomatoes at the end of the season our family has a recipe for green tomato pickles (really a type of relish) - to be served with roasts or cold ham etc or in sandwiches.