Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Choices..........

I took the pile of squares from yesterday's post down to the basement to choose insert colors. The blue squares are hidden under the pile.
At first I though maybe lime greens and several shades of purple might work.  Then I decided that was going to change the flavor of the quilt too much.
I decided that I will start with shades of blues and turquoises, cutting from scraps and yardage.  I will add some green inserts too as I start working on it.  Then I'll decide if I want to add another color.


I saw two of the Monarch caterpillars on two different milkweed plants today.  I don't know if they are the same two from last week or two more.  Whichever it is I'm excited to see them there munching away on the milkweed leaves.

9 comments:

Beth@IHaveANotion.com said...

I would be excited too!!! I need to find my next project... Or maybe I'll get started an other UFO!

Lostinspace said...

I'm interested to know if you have rejected the idea of doing it like the original you showed yesterday (I went back to look) which uses shades of white as well as blue. Perhaps you are going to put white in anyway?
I love the book which I looked at on Amazon!

Needled Mom said...

I can definitely see where the lime and purple change the tone of the other fabrics.

There seem to be so many Monarch butterflies this year. They are so beautiful and exciting to watch.

Sharron Keck said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I first found Monarch caterpillars in our garden by noticing the stuff they drop on leaves. (You can see some on the leaf under the caterpillar in your photo.) It prompted me to look under the leaves on our milkweed and I spotted the caterpillar. It's always a treat to see the caterpillars or even just the evidence that they are in the garden.

deb

Terri said...

Orange, being the complement, would be an exciting insert color. I love orange and blue together with some green.

Aren't milkweed flowers very fragrant? I've only driven past the wild ones - and that was decades ago - but I seem to remember them as delightfully scented. And then the seed pods are so interesting.

Hugs

Mystic Quilter said...

I adore purple and lime together but I agree they would alter the look of the quilt, they really draw attention to themselves against your lovely blues and green.

Charlotta said...

I take it you won't be using the same fabric for all the insets? But will pick from you selection here?

Hedy said...

I like what you have so far, I didn't like the lime and purple at all. I appreciate all the time you take to show us your making quilts.