Sunday, October 19, 2014

Layout.........

I think this is my final layout of the African courthouse steps blocks.  The border audition: these are the sewn strip sets I had for a previous African quilt I was going to make.  There are 3 sets there, orange, blue and gold.  Each one is the full 45" long so I can cut lots of sections out of them for a piano key type border.  I could make a green set too so I may audition that later today.  With just the blocks it would be 73" long and 49" wide so I thought about just putting borders on the sides for a better proportion.  I will know more after I get the ends and bottom sashing strips on.
The 4 blooms are on the ends of 2 leaves.  This is the first time I have had 2 blooms on more than one leaf at a time.

14 comments:

Sewing Junkie said...

Quilt looks great. The flowers are sure pretty. Chris

Linda Swanekamp said...

I love the way the black and the zebra fabric hold it all together, but showcase the awesome prints. It will look terrific with the border idea.

Mary said...

I love the idea for the border and I'd say that is a very happy cactus plant!

Beth@IHaveANotion.com said...

I wonder if the multiple flowers is based on the maturity of the plant? Quilt looks great!!!

Vicki W said...

I'm so out of it that when I saw your CC bloom post the other day I thought "wow, that's really early" because I was still feeling like summer in my head. Now it's just timing me a panic attack about the holidays!

Sylvia Anderson said...

Wanda, this quilt top looks as if it were glowing. These fabrics, and your gift of blending just the right colors, make this one of my favorite quilts in your collection, and I have looked through all you have posted on your website, by utilizing the lists on the sidebar of this blog. Your cactus plant is so pretty, and as the leaves fall, and the plants die off, they must be a welcome sight every time you walk past them. Have a good day.

Brenda said...

this quilt just vibrates with energy!

Mary P said...

Are all the strips the same size in your African blocks?
The zebra strips look thinner and the center block looks bigger. Thanks for your help.
Mary
marypsmith96atgmaildotcom

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

The quilt blocks are very "lively"! And you are definitely the Christmas cactus grand master!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Your mastery of color is SO evident in this top . . . it glows and vibrates and pulses with energy!

I have never met anyone who grows such gorgeous cacti - and I'm so glad you share the flowers with us!

Mystic Quilter said...

What a magnificent quilt, I just love this and the border is super.

JJM said...

What a 'jubilant' quilt top ! It has such a autumn explosion of color. Love it !

And talk about explosion of color ~ your cactus blossoms are just that also.

JJM

shazama said...

Really like this quilt.

Jeri said...

Still no buds on my cactus, do you have a secret??secret
Jeri
oldtismeataoldotcom