Sunday, April 10, 2016

Sewing up parts................

I had some equilateral triangles left over from the hexagon star quilt so I cut some more from the scraps and made this piece.  It is about 14.5" tall and 17" wide so it could be a placemat or table centerpiece.



I cut the kite shapes and backgrounds with my die cutting machine last June.  I sewed the quarter blocks at some point since then.  They have been piled up on my cutting table for a long time.  Last night I took the pile of quarter blocks and sewed 18 full blocks.

I would need to make a lot more if I want to make a quilt.  Alternate ideas are table runners or put them in the box with the orphan blocks.

10 comments:

Judy H said...

Love what you do.

Gene Black said...

I love taking the "jumbled bits" as I call the leftover or test blocks and make a really wild scrappy quilt with them. Sometimes, I have to sash sections to make it work - but that just adds to the fun of a scrappy quilt.

Anonymous said...

Love that little piece you made with the leftover triangles....
I also love those blocks you made from the kite blocks...when I was young (a long, long time ago!), we played a game called "jacks"....these blocks remind me of that game, and how much fun we had....I will be looking forward to seeing what you end up doing with these!
Sandra B
scb304@juno.com

Needled Mom said...

Your orphan block box must be amazing!!!

Marie said...

Those kite blocks might make for an interesting round in a medallion quilt...

Hedy said...

Way too pretty to become orphan blocks !

Gari in AL said...

When I saw your kite blocks I immediately thought of a child's quilt. That's how I used to use up my leftovers.

Mystic Quilter said...

Oh don't put your kite blocks in the orphan box, they're beautiful and it's such a wonderful pattern for batiks. I think I might peek on the site for the store here in NZ who're agents for Accuquilt and see if they have this die in stock. I have stacks of batiks!!

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

The triangles made a nice looking hexagon, didn't they! The kite blocks, were easy to make, but I didn't like them after they were done nearly as well as I thought I would. You'll find the perfect way to use yours though, I am positive!

Purple Pam said...

I like your kite blocks. Please do not put them in the orphan box. I know you can make a quilt from them.