On the trays on the left are the size rectangles I'm usually working with on my colorwash pieces. The ones on the right are for the new project.
Here are the 2 sizes side by side. It all started when a friend mentioned she could visualize one of my colorwash wallhangings on the large empty wall at her church. When she mentioned how large she thought it should be I really didn't think I wanted to make it. The second time she called I told her I was thinking I just needed to use larger rectangles and then it wouldn't be any more pieces than I use on my other colorwash wallhangings.
I started it Saturday afternoon thinking I would just get the center up and do a little more on it each day. Six hours later I had about 3/4 of it designed. It is almost covering 2 design walls (96" wide, 84" tall). Yesterday I spent an additional 5 hours filling in the last pieces which meant more cutting for the colors and values I was missing in my initial 3 days of cutting. The tweaking took about 3 hours. By 9 p.m. I was ready to sew and got the bottom 6 rows sewn (not shown here). The bottom here is the left side of the wallhanging. My personal challenge was to get the cutting and designing done and have the rows safely off the wall in stacks ready to sew by the 20th when my art quilters will be coming. Now I hope I will have it all sewn together by then. It will shrink in 11" in width and 7" in length when sewn. It is projected to be 69" x 90" when the top is finished.