This quilt is very low contrast. I was trying to imitate an antique quilt that had a variety of elements and a medallion style layout. Click here to go back to the post that shows my drawing that I worked from.
I really like this quilt. I had made a few 4 patches but just wanted a sprinkling of them throughout the quilt. Click here for the post that shows a close up of the quilting.
I made this one after seeing the cover picture on Kaffe's book "Quilts in the Sun". I changed the size of the block so I could get one block from each strip of border fabric that I cut. I used Benartex Fossil Ferns as my solids around the Kaffe prints. Click here for the post that shows a close up of the quilting and binding.
I made 2 sets of similar blocks using crooked strips and divided them up for 2 quilts. I auditioned several sashing colors and my readers gave me their opinions. Posts starting on Dec. 18, 2008 and going into Jan. 2009 (if you care to go back to the archives) show the procedure from making the blocks, choosing the sashing, and finally sewing together. This one is 25.5" x 37".
Here is the second quilt with the other half of the blocks. I call it "Celebration". I didn't get it quilted until Jan. 2010. Click here for the post with a close up of the quilting. It measures 31.5" x 45.5".
I liked the pastel striped quilt in one of Kaffe Fasset's books and decided I would make one. I ran the stripes across the narrow way instead of lengthwise on the quilt. Here is a link to the page showing the inspiration quilt and my fabric choices.
The zig zag quilt top is a charm quilt, every piece different, 308 of them. It was fun to design it since charm quilts are always a challenge. This is a link back to the page where I had finished it. If you want to follow the journey of the designing, go backwards from this date.
The barn raising layout quilt top was made before the zig zag quilt top and uses the same size triangles, 6.5" squares cut diagonally. There are 140 different fabrics, 2 pieces of each in this top. I was making this one in February, 2010 if you want to go back to any of the process pictures.
This is a pattern called Star Trip. It has a controlled number of fabrics rather than the scrappy way I usually work.
This is a Karla Alexander design from one of her books.
I was inspired by the 'S' quilt in a Kaffe Fassett book so I designed an 'H' block for myself. I call it "I Give it 5 Stars" for the 5 star blocks mixed in for fun.
I worked with 2 sizes of strips around the center squares, changing the position of the 2 sizes in half of the blocks. It was a challenge sewing on point with sashing.
3", 6" and 9" finished squares with a layout furnished in one of Kaffe Fassett's books. This one was finished in June 2011.
|3 sizes of Bear Paw blocks|
|Random Plank, sewing sequence like Jelly Roll Race|
random length strips instead of full length.
|Kaffe stripes and prints in 16 patches with floral panels|