Thursday, April 30, 2015

First April finish, quilt gifts, recipe...........

The 40" African 16 patch wallhanging is done, the first finish for April.











The binding is sewn onto the Kaffe zig zag and I have started the hand sewing.












Here are 4 of the 5 quilts that went home with relatives on Sunday after the wedding shower.  They are left to right for a 20 year old great-nephew, wedding present for nephew and wife, shower gift for nephew and wife and last one for a 4 year old great nephew.  I also gave one to my sister in law but don't have a photo of it.  It was made before digital cameras so I may have a real photograph of it, maybe not.

Many people requested the recipe for the frosted creams so here it is:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Cream 3/4 c. Crisco and 3/4 c. sugar
Add 2 egg yolks and 3/4 c. molasses
Add alternately 1 1/8 c. cold water with 3 c. flour, 3/4 t.baking soda, 3/4 t. cinnamon, 3/4 t. salt. (I do 1/3 of flour and other dry ingredients first, then half of the water, another third of flour, other half water, then remaining flour) beating well after each.  Spread in a 11.25" x 17.25" greased pan.  Bake 30 min. or until edges are browned and pulling away from pan.  Frost with your favorite butter cream frosting.  Yield, about 40 pieces.

15 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

Love them all, especially the curved quilt. Such unusual fabric and combos in it. Now that your party is over, you seem to be really cranking it out.

Hedy said...

Well, you survived a nasty winter and spring is here with a clean house and yard. Now you can really get going on those quilts. I am waiting for the Kaffe quilt to be shown.

Sharon W. said...

Thanks for the cookie recipe...it has gone into my recipe box under the label "exuberant cookies", so I'll think of you when I bake them.

Mary said...

You have certainly had a busy and productive month. The finish for April is gorgeous as always. Thanks for the recipe.

Roxanne said...

The backing on the Kaffe zig zag is so cute. I put "zig zag" in the blogspot search box but no post came up saying what it was. There were a lot of great zig zag quilts though! I'll give the recipe a try, thank you.

Debbie said...

How wonderful to be able to cover so many family members! I am sure they all were welcomed and loved their quilts.

Vicki W said...

Looks like everyone got showered with gifts this weekend! The new wall hanging is lovely.

Needled Mom said...

Those made wonderful gifts for family members. Am I too old to adopt???

Your African print quilt looks perfect with that binding.

Thank you for the recipe. It sounds yummy.

pbj fiber marietta said...

Thanks so much for the recipe...I am off to buy molasses! You are an inspirational lady!

em's scrapbag said...

A 16 patch quilt is on my list. Yours is making want to move it to the top.

Mystic Quilter said...

Your African quilt looks stunning!
Love the comment from Needled Mom asking if she is to old to adopt!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe
Andrée

Quiltdivajulie said...

Thanks for the recipe, Wanda.

How much fun to gift such wonderful quilts in person . . .

Charlotta said...

I'm sure everybody left that shower feeling thoroughly satisfied! But if you're not careful, you may be forced to host every shower in the family forever! I'm sure nobody else does it like you - with as many home made goodies to eat or as many beautiful hand made presents for so many family members, to boot! I can only hope they all know how fortunate they are!

Anonymous said...

Oh, that brown with the zebra print is wonderful and I had not seen that one before. Is that one on your blog somewhere? And surely, Wanda, we must be related somehow...just sayin', I'd love to receive one of your quilts. :)