Saturday, April 6, 2013

The next step.....

I finished sewing the 5 stratas.  Here they are ready to go to the ironing board.  I'm not pressing the way the pattern says.  I have done enough trip around the world type quilts to know some shortcuts.
I pressed the seams and then sliced the stratas into strips.  In this pattern you do not make it into a tube.  The stratas are flat when you cut them.
In this photo I'm not done picking the stratas into segments.  The piece on the left (which there are 2 pieces in each pile) goes to one quilt and the pieces on the right go to the other quilt.  The layout sheet for the quilts is laying on the table.  One will be Grandmother's Dream and the other Boston Commons.
In this photo I have all of these 4 quarters picked apart and they are ready to sew.  There are 2 piles of 2 idential quarters.
I started sewing 2 identical quarters but it was getting late so I'll finish them today.  One quilt will have the purple in the center and the other will have the magenta in the center.
I started raking the back garden yesterday afternoon and I need to get out and work on it again today.  I don't rake it pristine clean, just enough leaf removal for the sunshine to get to the plants that will start growing soon.  The rest of the leaves turn to compost.

18 comments:

Michele T said...

Beautiful colours!!!

Karen H said...

Very pretty, as usual! :)

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

sounds like me in the yard - I'm still working on it! I hope the nasty tiny black bugs don't come around my head today.

Sheila said...

Your batik strata strips are beautiful.

JJM said...

Your strata's always amaze me, turning them into such glorious works of art. Love all the progression photo's.

JJM

Vicky F said...

Hi Wanda,
Your colors are simply gorgeous!
I think I need more raspberry and tangerine batiks.
Vicky F

Char said...

Wow really beautiful strata's!

Gari in AL said...

I have been playing with the idea of doing a trip quilt, too but using kids fabrics for a comfort quilt. Just haven't gotten the fabrics lined up yet. Your's is going to be so beautiful, I wouldn't be able to give them up.

Laura T said...

Hi Wanda,
The stratas are beautiful and it will be fun to see them finished:) Do you have a secret for matching your seams? They look great from your pictures!
LauraT

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

It looks beautiful already! It helps to start with great fabric, doesn't it?

cottonreel said...

I have just returned from an Easter break , delighted to see your rainbow of colur

Nancy J said...

I can seealready that this will be stunning when finished, beautiful already. Lovely colour combination as always. Cheers from Jean

Purple Pam said...

Great color selections on these two quilts.

Cathi said...

Those are gorgeous colours. It is going to be fun seeing the two quilts come to life.

Brown Family said...

THose are going to be beautiful! My friend is making a around the world using 5 inch finished blocks she is putting black and white photos of her grand daughter in it. SHe showed it to her daughter today and she does not like it. She wants the colors rearranged! I am not happy!

Nan

Michele said...

wow!

Lovely. Fantastic.

I can see I need to add some fruity batiks to my stash.

What is the name of the pattern you are using?

GerryART said...

Glorious Colors

Spring is here! I must get out to rake the backyard

Hugs

judy said...

Just wonderful colours, will be nice to follow along,