Thursday, August 9, 2012

Modular quilts progress..........

On the left are 7 blocks for one of the modular quilts, on the right 4 blocks for the other quilt.  As I mentioned they are for twin boys and I think you can see now how they will tell the quilts apart.  I made more progress yesterday than I thought I would.  This is not necessarily the order the blocks will end up.  I will take them down and when I have all of the blocks done I'll go back to the design wall.
This is the next block to be sewn.  I picked up that fish print in 2 different colorways on sale a couple years ago.  On this quilt unlike the last 3 modular quilts, I am designing each 18" block and sewing and not designing the whole quilt on the design wall before I sew. I hope the blocks will look good next to each other when I am done.  I am designing 2 identical (or close to identical) blocks each time and with the ones with the large fish print one goes in each block. I have the next 5 blocks designed and ready to sew today. 

If you want to see more about modular quilts look on my Label list on the right sidebar and click on Modular quilt tutorial.

5 comments:

Gene Black said...

Today curiosity finally got the better of me. I looked at the label for modular quilts. What I realized is that I have never done a partial seam. I need to try doing that just to see if it is something I want to add to my skill list.

HollyM said...

What a great idea for twins. I love modular quilts too.

Needled Mom said...

Those are going to be fabulous!

Taos Sunflower said...

Good score on the fish prints!

Sheila said...

I'm going to avoid partial seams by making 18" modular blocks and sewing them together like you plan to do with these two quilts. Less stress. Thank you for demonstrating this modular quilt idea.
Oh Wanda! My batik kit arrived yesterday and it is wonderful. The most beautiful batiks I have ever seen. I can't wait to clear a table and start playing with them.