I taught a finishing class yesterday with 6 students with a wide variety of projects. One lady brought the pieces below which we played with until we were happy with a design. She had started making 9 patches (top left and bottom right) but decided she didn't like them and changed to 4 patches. She had already cut some green rectangles to fill in but wasn't happy with any layout she tried. I think it turned out pretty neat and she was happy with it too.
I wasn't quick enough to get pictures of 3 others before they were taken off the design wall to sew together. They asked for a finishing class every month so we have set one up for the first week in Dec.
I rarely go to my blog to read the comments because I get them automatically in my email. When I posted this one I glanced at the number of comments yesterday I realized I had only received about half of them in my email. I usually try to reply to the ones with email addresses so I really missed a bunch today. I'm wondering if this is a Google problem or my email server.
Several people mentioned the fabric choices and how hard it is to throw things together in a block that don't seem to go together, but the one thing that is most important is not color or print but what value it is. If you have 2 distinct values you will have success with log cabin. That is one of the reasons that log cabin is such a good scrap quilt, dividing all of your fabrics into 2 values and throwing out the prints that are high constrast with both light and dark in them because they don't fit on either side.