Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Cleaning and more baking............

I had a date with the vacuum cleaner yesterday and then it was time to bake some more.  This is English Toffee Squares.  They don't get stale so I can always bake them several days in advance.  I don't like nuts on or in anything but I had a bag of chopped walnuts so I put them on part of it.  I hope that part gets totally eaten because I don't want any of them.
This is my mother's hand written recipe card with my own notes written in pencil.  It is a thin layer of toffee which is hard to spread really even.  My note tells me that I need to be sure it is totally browned or it will be soft instead of crisp.  I also use the mini chocolate chips instead of sweet chocolate on top.  It is really important to cut them while still warm, within a few minutes of spreading the chocolate topping.  Otherwise they are too brittle and just break into lots of pieces while cutting.  This is one of my family's favorite treats.

10 comments:

Lesley Gilbert said...

I remember when I was 9 and my Mum making toffee. After she put it into the pantry to cool down, me and my brother would go in and stick our fingers into it for a quick lick, hoping it would reset and not leave any marks - thinking back I expect she knew but never said anything. I love chocolate but never been a big chocolate cake fan. I'm full of cold and lots of sneezing - hope you manage to stay nice and healthy :)

Gene Black said...

Those look really good. I would love the walnuts on them - or maybe some pecans. Mmmmmm
Your note written on the recipe card reminds me of an old cookbook I had when I was a teen - and I wrote additions/corrections into the recipes.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that is nice to still have the written down recipes - I used to have the bits and pieces of recipes written down then I rewrote them all in a book years ago when I was quite young and probably tossed the papers not thinking how much they would mean to me in later years to have the original scraps. Hope your walnut pieces get eaten! Have a great Thanksgiving

Hedy said...

I have a very similar recipe and I add pecans instead of walnuts, it is very good. We eat pies at Thanksgiving so I’m getting my ingredients together now for baking tomorrow. My son loves an old recipe that is a sort of cheesecake with cherry topping, I will send one home with him. I love this time of year for baking, but my grocery bill is atrocious.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Oh, I need to print this off -- I love toffee and chocolate together (and I avoid nuts like you). Happy Thanksgiving week to you!!

Anonymous said...

Wow. This looks dangerous.......too bad I am done with the shopping and into the prep stage or I'd be tempted to add it to the dessert bar Thursday. Is it a "pull your fillings out" toffee or more like a shortbread? You can see I am weakening!

ceci

patty a. said...

I am surprised to read there is flour. I don't think of toffee having flour. They look yummy!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Oh, that looks yummy! Guess I'll be making some soon since I have ALL of those ingredients on hand - and LOVE toffee. Thanks for sharing your mother's recipe - ;))

Needled Mom said...

Those look and sound good. I always do nuts on part of things too for those who do and don't like nuts.

JJM said...

More delicious baking coming from your kitchen. I can just imagine every member of your family enjoying every bite. From Kringla to your toffee bars. Those recipes our Mom's have left us with are the best.

JJM